Forum Discription: General Discussion
URL: http://www.crossandcockade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=928
Printed Date: 16 Nov 2019 at 00:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "Where they flew & where they fell"
Posted By: John(txic)
Subject: "Where they flew & where they fell"
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 15:11
Just reading some back issues for 1990 and noticed the adverts for this VHS release.

Is it available on DVD, does anyone know?

Replies:
Posted By: AndyK
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 11:16
Hi John

I've never seen it on DVD. I do have a VHS copy that I'd be happy to lend you - if you've still got an old tape machine!!

AndyK

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 14:20
That's the problem.... but thanks anyway!

Posted By: Alex Revell
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 10:25
John and Andy.
I have a VHS player and my new blu ray recorder allows me to copy from VHS to DVD. If you would loan me the VHS I'd be happy to see what I can do.
Cheers
Alex

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 10:55
Alex,

You are a gentleman!

Posted By: KK
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 12:52
From memory the firm that made it were in Yorkshire.

lm still waiting for it to come out on Betamax Geek

-------------
KK

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 14:04
Good memory, KK! It was made in God's Own County by Jumpcut Productions - one of whom was our own Trevor Foreman, also of Northern Aeroplane Workshop fame. Before sending this off to Alex, I'll check Trevor's OK with us ripping off the fruits of his labours ...

Andy

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 14:07
John and Andy,
Yes, the possible problem of copyright has just occurred to me as well. We'll have to wait developments.
Alex

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 08:51
Perhaps this correspondence will prompt a general re-release on DVD?Smile

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 14:44
l miight get it from HMV   or should l wait and get it from Blockbuster?Ermm

-------------
KK

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 12:51
Just heard back from Trevor Foreman and Chris Page - they're happy or us to rip their video to DVD, so long as it's "for personal use only".

Alex - if the offer's still open, I can post you my copy?

Andy

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 13:22
Andy,
Sure, post me a copy and I'll do my best.
Regards
Alex

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 13:26
On it's way this afternoon :-)
Andy

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 16:53
Andy, the VHS arrived yeasterday and I spent the entire afternoon trying to transfer it on to DVD without any success. I did a VHS-DVD transfer when I first had the recorder, back in November, and followed exactly what I did then - I'd taken the precaution of writing the instructions down - but it just wouldn't do it. Why do these all dancing, all singing gadgets have to be so complicated. On my old machine I only had to load the VHS, plus a DVD, press two buttons and the whole thing was done. The annoying thing about it all is that the manual is worse than useless, almost impossible to understand unless one is  Japanese with a degree in engineering. I know the problem only too well when a screen don't come up as the manual says it should. There's an initial stage one should do first, which they forget to mention. Anyway, I'll ring the store tomorrow and hopefully they'll be able to sort it out for me.
Alex

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 18:13
Chaps,

I seem to have put you all to a heap of trouble....

Sorry!   Smile

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 15:43
Alex
If it's all proving to be a techno-pain, let me have the VHS back and I'll see what I can do up here. I discovered yesterday that a neighbour also has one of these machines - and if all else fails I can rip it to my PC and create a DVD from there.
Don't stress Smile
Cheers,
Andy

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 16:00
I think I owe you all a drink....

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 17:41
Andy,
I spoke to my supplier this morning and when one of their chaps is next  in the area he's going to call in and sort it out. So I'd ask you to be patient for a little longer. The store couldn't understand why it wouldn't work as per the manual, but weren't surprised that it didn't!
Alex

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 08:50
Gentlemen,

Any joy?  

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 20:25
Hi John
I admire your patience Thumbs Up
Alex created the DVD and sent it on, but while I can read it on my DVD player I can't copy it on my PC. Annoying. I've spent another an hour on it this afternoon, with no success - so am seeking advice. If I send you the only copy we have I'm passing the buck to you - which I don't really want!
As soon as I can resolve the problem, I'll send you a copy - we're getting close!
AndyK

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 10:20
Andy,
I'm sorry about all the trouble you're having. I think it's possibly because when one makes a copy, Panasonic always asks it to be 'finalised'  so that it can be played on other makes of player. It didn't ask me to do that on the copy, so I assumed it would be OK. This might not be the reason you're having trouble, but it might give your expert a clue as to what to do. Is it because your PC will not play that particular file format? Why do you want to put it onto your PC. I was under the impression that you could copy it on your recorder.
Alex

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 11:31
AndyK,

When someone is doing you a favour, it's rude to push it.....   Smile

Thanks for your efforts, chaps!

John

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 08:18
Hi John

Good news! I managed to get a DVD-R copy off my tape, using a neighbour's VHS>DVD copier. I can run off a few copies over the weekend, and post one out to you next week. Can you send me your postal address?

Alex - the difference was getting it onto a DVD-R format disk, rather than the DVD-RAM you kindly provided; which I couldn't copy.

AndyK

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 09:02
Obliged - PM inbound.

Timing is great, as I'm off to Ypres with my local WFA next month.   I'm doing a Turn at Mendinghem about Lt Cameron, so it'll be good to see Proven before I go (if it's covered in the film, that is...).

John

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 10:14
Originally posted by AndyK AndyK wrote:

Hi John

Good news! I managed to get a DVD-R copy off my tape, using a neighbour's VHS>DVD copier. I can run off a few copies over the weekend, and post one out to you next week. Can you send me your postal address?

Alex - the difference was getting it onto a DVD-R format disk, rather than the DVD-RAM you kindly provided; which I couldn't copy.

AndyK
Geek
Nothing else to do today Andy?

-------------
KK

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 10:30
Morning Andy,
Yes, all those formats are very confusing. Minus this, plus that, ROMs, RAMs, CDs,DVDs. Some one can add to, some one can't. I suppose they all have a function, but  shame they haven't been standadised by now, would save us all a load of grief.
Still. pleased you've solved it at last.
Alex

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 15:45
Much obliged - plays beautifully, thanks.

Please let me recompense you both for postage and cost of the DVD.

John

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 16:37
Not a problem - no recompense required - I'm grateful to you for prompting me to get it sorted! It's something I've been thinking about doing for a while.

Alex - let me know if you'd like a copy :-)

Andy

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 16:55
If I ever get to a C & C Meeting, I'll buy you a drink!

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 17:32
Andy, Thanks, but no need. I have a copy on my recordwers hard drive.
Pleased it all worked out in the end - for everybody. Have a look at http://vimeo.com/59376506" rel="nofollow - http://vimeo.com/59376506 #. brilliant!
Alex

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2011 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk