URL: http://www.crossandcockade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=449
Printed Date: 28 Feb 2020 at 03:41
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fairlop Flypast
Posted By: Dogzbody
Subject: Fairlop Flypast
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 16:30
Evening All,
                 The Fairlop Heritage Group have organised a Fly Past for Saturday 11th June to commemorate 100 years of flying at Fairlop.

The venue is Fairlop Waters Country Park, site of the WW2 airfield at Forest Road, Barkingside, Ilford IG6 3HN.

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight will circle the ex-airfield from 1230hrs and a Spitfire at 1305hrs.

On their poster you are invited to meet Veterans and view exhibitions on Fairlop history.

As Essex Chapter of Cross & Cockade were founded in 1967 and its surviving members have been invited along are we classed as Veterans or do we do our bit remembering Hainault and Forest Farm aerodromes- come along and meet the 'Lads' and find out.  

Sorry I missed Stow Maries last month,      TTFN     DogzbodyWink                                  

Replies:
Posted By: Alex Revell
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 11:28
Dogzbody.
I would love to be able to come to the celebrations at Fairlop, but living in deepest Cornwall makes it difficult. - and expensive!   As a boy, I lived in Barkingside before and during the war and often went up to the aerodome to watch the flying. The Spits etc used to come quite low over our house in the latter part of the war and I used to stand on our coal bunker and wave to the pilots - often got one back.  I remember being in the garden one afternoon and a Heinkel III came over at about two hundred feet. Being a keen  spotter, I didn't need to look at the markings and hit the deck. A  few minutes later an American Thunderbolt  - then a new type - came over, then some other types. It turned out that they were flying different aircraft  from the airfield that day, including German and American aircraft.  Strange to think that even in those days I had pictures of McCudden, Mannock and Ball pinned up on my bedroom wall and not Bader etc, the heroes of the day.
After the war, when the airfield was no longer used, my friends and I - budding jazz musicians - used to use one of the old dugouts to practise in. No neighbours to annoy and the acoustics were great.!
Alex

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 16:02
Hello Alex,
                   Never mind old mate, we can wander down Ilford (Memory) Lane via e-mail off the Forum.

You have solved the mystery that had puzzled me for over half a century- by the time I had been called up after WW2 , (yes Monty & Ike managed without me), Fairlop airfield had become the mecca of the many model aeroplane clubs in the London area.
Thanks to you budding jazz musicians....on returning home in 1950 I found all activity on the airfield including football and cycle racing had ceased.!  Was Kenny Ball also one of the culprits?

TTFN as we said back then,   Dogzbody  Wink

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 16:44
Dogzbody,
I don't think it was our fault that the airfield was closed. No nearby residents could have heard us to object to the noise we made. My memory is that we went into one of the semi-underground bunkers. No, Kenny was not one of our number. 
There was another  field,operated by a civilian flying club, a little further up the road and on the other side from the WW2 airfield. Gong from memory, as one left the airfield on the right and carried on, going away from Barkingside, there was road came in from the right and then the road started to go up hill, with the field on the left  being the private club. I remember being up there one day when a Demon, or some such, came in to land. The pilot realised that the field was small and downhill and he had a terrible job getting in OK. He finally managed it ,but got out of his cockpit , took off his helmet and threw it on the grass, practically stamping with rage. We heard later, how true or not I don't know, that he had been sent to ascertain the suitabliity of the field for service use.  He was not pleased. I remember that a Fort crash landed in the same field and ended up in a pond at the very bottom.
We didn't say TTFN. It was common.Wink

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 20:22
Alex,
        The civilian airfield you remember across Forest Road from Hainault Farm was at one time was used by the London Transport Flying Club, in recent years it has been a sports club.

A Luftwaffe reconnaissance photo of the ex-wartime aerodrome at Hainault Farm taken  May 1939 
see C&C Journal, Vol.28, No.I, 1997includes the flying club field across the road.

Those of you that can make it to the Fairlop Flypast on Saturday, look out for the stands with C&C Logo and say hello to the well preserved members of the  Essex Chapter

TTFN again Alex, it was good enough for dear old Tommy Handley and Auntie BBC wireless back then, it is good enough for Dogzbody  Thumbs Up        .   

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 15:38
Dogzbody,
Thanks for that. Good to know that one's memory in old age isn't  yet completely gone.
I was only kidding about TTFN. My attempt at facetiousnessSmile 
CIDYNS
Alex

Posted By: John-G
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 20:03

Were you know as Alex Revell and the Bunny Men?

http://www.66squadron.co.uk - www.66squadron.co.uk

-------------
www.66squadron.co.uk

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 11:09
Certainly not !!!!!

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 20:35
Alex,
        Having absconded to foreign parts you missed out not being on parade Saturday, the weather was ideal for the flypast and we had a lot of interest shown in our Society, if the number of leaflets we gave out and back numbers of the Journal that were bought are to go by.
HuckJ,
            The Fairlop Ferrets would have been more appropriate than Alex and the Bunny Men, as Ilford was a tough old place in those days, that is probably why Alex absconded 

TTFN as we said back when,  Smile     Dogzbody

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 10:22
Yes, I would have liked to have been there. Pleased it was a success, with some interest shown in the society. Well done.
 I don't remember Ilford as being a 'tough old place'.  I remember being quite surprised when I first saw it described as being in the 'east end' of London. True it was a town to the east of London, but it was hardly Bethnal Green or Shoreditch. I remember it being once described - in those days -  as being all pianos and net curtains. I suppose Barkingside was a little way out from Ilford,  a leafy suburb on the edge of the countyside, but I went to school in Ilford, shopped for records in Ilford, we went to the cinema there - when there was nothing on at Gantshill we wanted to see -  and I always remember it as being a very pleasant town.
CIDYNS
AlexSmile

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 20:28
Alex,
        ITMA and all that, I jest about Ilford being a tough old place in your day, it was of course a good Town to grow up in being then in the County of Essex, not like the over crowded London Borough it has become unfortunately.
I have a photo of the IDMAC taken on Fairlop airfield on Easter Monday 1946 you may find intersting, it attracted attention displayed among the WWI Forest and Hainault Farm aerodrme photos on Saturday!  Smile
Keep well keep in touch,     TTFN    Dogzbody 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2011 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk