Forum Discription: General Discussion
URL: http://www.crossandcockade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=229
Printed Date: 18 Feb 2020 at 14:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 10th. Squadron RFC Nov. 1917
Posted By: c.streat
Subject: 10th. Squadron RFC Nov. 1917
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 12:55
Hello. I am researching the movements of 10th squadron, RFC, prior to the death of my Uncle, Ralph Streat, Airman 1st class, on 18th Nov, 1917. I see from a previous post that the squadron had just moved to Abeele. I have a number of his letters and post cards from the front, but no information as to his job or manner of death. He is buried at Nine Elms Cemetery, Poperinge, Belgium, which I hope to visit soon, but would like to know as much background information as possible before I go. Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Replies:
Posted By: Dogzbody
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 20:47
Hello,
           Airmen Died entry for AMI Ralph Graham Streat 9507 10Sqn, Native of Finchly Middx. age 19 DOW 30.11. 1917  Buried at Nine Elms Poperinghe , Belgium.
 Please excuse the haste, please note the date   Dogzbody

Posted By: NickForder
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 10:03
John
I note that Henshaw has no entry for Streat (often the case that DOWs get 'lost' in the system), which does make him wonder if he was groundcrew caught in a bombing raid, or similar.

I don't have Hobson to hand - does the corresponding date entry note any aircraft involvement or related incident ?

Nick

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 10:06
Name: STREAT, RALPH GRAHAM
Initials: R G
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps
Unit Text: 10th Sqdn.
Date of Death: 30/11/1917
Service No: 9507
Additional information: Son of Ernest Whitfield Streat and Edith Marian Streat, of 5, Upper Cavendish Avenue, Church End, Finchley.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. B. 14.
Cemetery: http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=14300&mode=1 - NINE ELMS BRITISH CEMETERY

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 19:05
Thank you Dogzbody and Nick for your replies.
 Nine Elms cemetery is only 3 or 4 miles from Abeele so I was really wondering on the manner of his death, as ground crew. I have found out from The Great War Forum that there are 3 sets of records available for this month from National Archives for 10th Squadron, so I will have a go at those. Many thanks again; I would be happy to share information in his letters and RFC cards, although obviously he was not permitted to write much "info"

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 09:45
Hobson (Airmen Died) notes :

AMI R.G Streat , 10 Sqn, DOW. WF

No pilot or A/C mentioned, I have to wait until Monday for a  check on Streat among the Casualty Cards at the RAF Archives, if  they turn up trumps I will send for you to post on the Forum for the family concerned.

John

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 20:19
Nick,
         As you can see I have been able to login again, thanks for the posting at 09.45.
Has anyone else had trouble with being unable to login or is the Forum only allergic to Dogzbody?
See you at the AGM Saturday.   John  

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 19:43
Nick,
         The Casualty Card in RAF Museum Archives for AM R. G Streat just confirmed what we already knew that he died of wounds 30/11/1917.
Confirmation of wounds rule out an accident, we need some kind member to check  Air1 Reference for No.10 Sqn at the National Archives. They are 11, 45, 92-3, 116, 166, 184, 688, 1218-19, 1279, 1361-73, 1695-98, 2148.

Good turn out at the AGM well done everybody........Dogzbody  

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 20:29
Dear Dogz,
Thank you for your continued help; after much newbie faffing I managed to trace the ref at Kew for casulties 10th sq Nov 1917, and am awaiting an estimate for copies. Is it just me, or are the methods for tracing files at PRO hard to understand ? It`s probably practice, but I would be happy to share any other info gleaned when it arrives. Ta

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 19:49
Hello K,
              Yes do please keep us informed.
Talking with Nick Saturday, he suggested your Uncle may have been an air raid casualty, that would include the fall out from anti-aircraft fire, it did a lot of damage in my home town Ilford in both wars.
As an alternative he may have been at the Front salvaging a crashed machine, or on detachment with a wireless operator to a Battery that No.10 were carrying out Art-Obs for.
                                               Good luck,     Dogzbody.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 07:42
Dear Dogz,
Ralph Streat was born in Ilford, and grew up there as a child, before moving to Finchley. I don`t suppose he is listed on a war memorial there ? Thanks for all your suggestions,
Regards Caleb

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 19:40
AH HA Just reading Ralph`s letters home, and he talks about climbing trees and putting ariels up. On 26 Feb 1917, he writes that he is attached to 42 sq, " 3 squadrons in 3 weeks " and gives the address R.G.S. wireless operator R.F.C, 253 Siege Bty R.G.A. so he was clearly the wireless link man between the Be5`s and the artillery. This is presumably how he died. What was RGS and RGA ? His previous letters give no info whatsoever so how was he able to give such info without censure ?

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 20:41
Hello Caleb,
                       I will look for Ralph Streat on the Ilford 14-18 War Memorial if he attended school in the area there is a possibility.  R.G.A was an abreviation of Royal Garrison Artillery the heavy boys.
A wireless operator attached to the 'Gunners' would have put him in range of enemy counter fire.
On attachment his mail would have missed the usual censure by the Squadron Orderly Officer these things happen in wartime.        Keep up the good work,   Dogz.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 08:52

Siege Batteries RGA were equipped with heavy howitzers, sending large calibre high explosive shells in high trajectory, plunging fire. The usual armaments were 6 inch, 8 inch and 9.2 inch howitzers, although some had huge railway- or road-mounted 12 inch howitzers. As British artillery tactics developed, the Siege Batteries were most often employed in destroying or neutralising the enemy artillery, as well as putting destructive fire down on strongpoints, dumps, store, roads and railways behind enemy lines. The armaments of each battery will be given as details are added.

The 253rd (Siege) Battery, R.G.A. was formed on 13th September 1916 at Hartlepool as a New Army unit. It went to France in January 1917, part of 22 Brigade RGA (182, 253, 287, 265, Batteries), part of 3rd Army Artillery (commanded by Major General Wardrop) on 11.1.1918.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 20:26
Nick, Caleb,
                      As my Grandfather had served with 510 Siege Battery R.G.A I was aware what R.G.A was an abbreviation of.
Can I suggest R.G.S is Remote Ground Station to advise the Army Post Service that AM Streat was on detachment from No.10 Sqn?
Sad to say it is too late for Dogzbody to ask his Granddad for confirmation......John

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2011 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk