URL: http://www.crossandcockade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1360
Printed Date: 28 Feb 2020 at 04:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: German Book on aircraft recognition
Posted By: bathang
Subject: German Book on aircraft recognition
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 00:08
Hello all! 
   I came across your forum looking for some information on a WW1 German book on aircraft recognition. There are no dates and the text is in old German script. The illustrations are fairly simple but accurate and point out the standard recognition features, number of engines, number of wings etc.  The interesting thing about the book is the pages are one sided and made to be folded out in a continuous 'ribbon'.  There are 49 different aircraft, German, French, British, Italian and Belgian. The pages fold out to over 20'!  I'm thinking it may have been made to mount on a wall for quick reference.   I have included a few photos. Anyone have any information on this?
                                                                             Thanks, Jerry

Replies:
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 00:09
Another picture

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 00:33
The cover, 5-1/2" x 7"

Posted By: whiskymac
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 06:23
An interesting find Jerry. If you could list all the types featured that should give forum members a greater chance of perhaps determining the year of publication.

Judging by the photo these illustrations look quite detailed.

Peter.

Posted By: KK
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 16:24
What a find.
This is an argument against Kindle , which could never match the magic of the printed page.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 01:38
Thank you Whiskymac & KK,  Here is a list of the pages. They start with German aircraft (single engine to multi/bomber) and several have the same name heading (Albatros) only with different pictures and specs (multi-engine).   The list is as they are printed, in order.
  German
SSw, Halberstadt, Albatros, Fokker, L.F.G. Roland, A.E.G., Ago, Albatros, Aviatik, D.F.W., L.F.G. Roland, L.B.G., Rumpler, A.E.G., Albatros, Friedrichshafen, Gotha, Rumpler, Osterreichischer Albatros, Osterreichischer Aviatik,  Osterreichischer Brandenburg, Osterreichischer, Wiener Neustadter F.W., Ungarischer Llond,  Osterreichischer Grossflugzeug.
  French/Italian
Morane-Saulnier, Nieuport, Paul Schmitt, Nieuport Bi=moteurs, Caudron R4, Spad (twin), Caproni, Caudron G3, Caudron G4, Voisin, Breguet, Maurice Farman, Farman Freres, Morane- Saulnier, Sopwith, Martinside, Sopwith, Avro, S.E. 1, Bristol, F.E., Henri Farman, Vickers, Bonnier. 

There are several pages of text as well as some with national insignia.  

Posted By: NickForder
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 12:33
I would guess that it was published in 1915/1916.

It has the Caudron R4 which makes it at least 1915, and doesn't seem include the Camel, SE5 or DH4.

Sub types of the German aircraft should help - is the Albatros a DI, DIII or just B and/or C types ?

Posted By: Morris
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 16:44
A quick web search showed the following:

The Aerodrome forum has a post from another purchaser:
“ Flugzeug Abbildungen ausgabe: - A. Fur mannschaften.” Posted 18 Nov 2013.

Naval and Military Press have a modern edition for sale for £9.50.
“A German ‘how to recognise them' guide to 49 German, French, Belgian and British aircraft of the Great War The illustrations show the whole aircraft, as well as the distinctive features of each type.”

Also the site istanbulmuzayede.com, which appears to be a Turkish auction house, had an edition with what look like Arabic annotations for sale for 450 Turkish Lira.
See: istanbulmuzayede.com/31MAYISPDF/03-kitap.pdf

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 02:15
 Thanks for the information Morris, that helped alot!  That Arabic version is an oddity! 
   Great site here, I'll be posting some old photos and will stay in tune.
                                                                            Jerry

Posted By: MikeMeech
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 07:44
Originally posted by bathang bathang wrote:

Thanks for the information Morris, that helped alot!  That Arabic version is an oddity! 
   Great site here, I'll be posting some old photos and will stay in tune.
                                                                            Jerry

Hi

That's how Turkish was written before Ataturk changed the 'alphabet' I believe.

Mike

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 09:22
Presumably the Arabic version was for distribution in the Ottoman Empire, following the deployment of German aircraft in the Dardanelles and FA300 in Palestine ?

Posted By: Morris
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 15:22
The picture that I posted is larger than the one in the pdf catalogue but I think that it shows the German original with handwritten Turkish additions, not a reprint in Turkish.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 17:39
Makes sense, given the small number of Turkish (as opposed to German) aircrew, and the literacy issue among Ottoman troops.

Posted By: KK
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 13:08
One could ask -did it work?- ie did Turkish AA units shoot down many Allied planes or was all the claiming done by German flak-batteries?

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 14:05
Other than infantry weapons, I have yet to come across any mention of Turkish 'Archie': what there was, was German.

On a general point of aircraft recognition: it was lousy, on both sides.

If you read the comprehensive 14 Squadron history in the Journal you will note the constant reference to 'Aviatiks', where there were none in theatre. 42nd Div identified everything as a 'Taube'.

More worrying are the claims the RFC made before FA300 was operational in Palestine. Were they shooting down each other, or just the RNAS ?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2011 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk