Forum Discription: General Discussion
URL: http://www.crossandcockade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135
Printed Date: 13 Aug 2020 at 17:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Von R Film
Posted By: NickForder
Subject: Von R Film
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 13:46
I see that the recent von R film is now out of DVD and in the supermarkets (Sainsbury's seem to be offering it cheapest, at the moment).

Aside from the fate that the actor looks as much like von R as Michael Caine was the spit for Bromhead in Zulu, can anyone vouch for the accuracy of the film ?

After the much hyped, but rather disappointing, 'Flyboys' I rather suspect that this is lots more CGI, but perhaps not just Nieuports against Tripes ?
Nick

Replies:
Posted By: Dogzbody
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 20:19
Hello Nick,
                 The new Red Baron movie is more hystiricaly than historicaly correct, but buy it for the flying scenes if it is on offer at the Supamarket as it is good to see other Hun types on the screen other than DRI's, when I were young it was always DVII's or Travelair lookalikes.  
If members are old enough (and most of us are) you may recall the long running BBC Wings on TV, both series are now out on DVD at £20 each or £38 the set. It was a well made work of fiction produced on a limited budget, but is far more authentc than this latest epic that is on par Flyboys nuff said I think.    TTFN  John

Posted By: John-G
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 20:47
Hi Dogzbody,

Good to see you posting!

Little John

-------------
www.66squadron.co.uk

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 20:39
Hello Little John,
                          Have you watched the German film version of The Red Baron? I am surprised that Nick has not had more response to his query about the accuracy of this epic. I must agree with Nick the tousled hair actor did not resemble von R. in looks, neither did those portraying Hawker or Voss.  I have been given to understand that Voss was the son of a Jewish Dye manufacturer, if that was the case why was it neccessary to introduce a fictionary Jewish ace.
At least the mystery of Fraulein Katie Otersdorf has been laid to rest for Dogzbody, after watching this film he is convinced she was caught later still behind allied lines and shot as a spy and remembering the anti German propagander after they had executed a British Nurse......seriously what became of Katie in real life did she sucumb to the influenza epidemic does any one know?       TTFN as we said back when   John     

Posted By: John-G
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 22:07
Hi  John

As you know I have no interest in German matters and even less interest in any of MvR and his family.  I am sure there must be someone out there who has studied the man in some depth, heaven knows on some sites he is all they seem to chat about!

Keep up the good work.

little John

-------------
www.66squadron.co.uk

Posted By: Rob
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 13:37
Saw it myself and wasn't a fan - I wasn't aware before that Lanoe Hawker was a fat guy with a goatee!

Posted By: Adrian Roberts
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 01:15
As an army man he wouldn't have been allowed a goatee or any beard!

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 16:19

Adrian, Rob,

Lanoe Hawker as portrayed in the latest Red Baron movie, if memory serves me correct at one time Farrier's in Cavalry Regiments were allowed to have a beard and for some reason carry an axe on parade. If I am wrong no doubt Nick will put us right and I will just have to take more water with it in future! By the way Nick have you finished the model of Voss's DIII yet?  

Having manualy typed out von R.s combat reports on loan from the Air Historical Branch for C&C many years ago I apparerently missed two victories, Roy Brown and one of the squadron of nocturnal HP 0/400's interferring with his love life.  Back in 1938 an American studio cancelled a proposed Red Baron movie as they could not find enough love interest for the epic, Dogzbody raises his hat to the Germam researches and scratches his head.

This latest Red Baron movie with all its faults, does not detract from the fact that the von Richthofen brothers were brave young men who did their duty, as did many more young men on both sides of the lines so please little John do not be to hard on our man Fred.         TTFN     John

Posted By: NickForder
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 09:01
Beards in the Army -

My general understanding is that beards are allowed in the Navy, but not moustaches.

Moustaches are allowed in the Army, but not beards (unless you were in the Pioneer Corps !).

The early RAF (presumably) allowed both ?

However, pictures from the Crimean War demonstrate the widespread fashion of mutton chop whiskers (beards in all but name), and the only photo I know of Bromhead (of Zulu fame) shows him with a bushy beard.....

Of course, the French Army does not insist on shaving. Hence the word 'Poilu', meaning 'hairy'...
Nick

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2011 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk