The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tondern Camels in Denmark

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tondern Camels in Denmark
    Posted: 29 May 2013 at 21:34
My previous posting on an associated subject having degenerated into low humour, I shall try again on a different aspect of the Tondern Raid, 19 July 1918.
Three pilots, Jackson, Williams and Dawson, landed in Denmark. Jackson was able to set his Camel on fire, Williams was not, I have no information at present regarding Dawson (Input very welcome).
I have also been informed that Danish newspapers at the time mention photographs being taken of the wrecks.
Jackson reports that Dawson escaped with the assistance of the British Consul but does not mention him again. Jackson was able to escape by way of Sweden and Norway to return to the UK on 13 August.
Now,
What happened to those photos?
What happened to Williams' Camel?
What happened to Dawson and his Camel?
What happened to Williams?
EnglishGent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishGent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 22:17
Ian,
CC&I Vol 25.57
TONDERN
Prelude, Climax and Aftermath
by DICK CRONIN

Quote : CC&I Vol 25 page 64 –
[Some doubt exists as to the locations of these two forced
landings. Another report gives Williams' forced landing at
Scallinger near Esbierg and that of Jackson at Bramminge
also close to Esbierg.1

I didn’t read the whole article, there may be more info in it.

PS: I am about half done with Ben-My-Chree. Very interesting story.
Derek Riley
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 22:28
Thanks Derek,
I had forgotten about Dick's C&C piece, and will have to go check it. But I'm trying to work from the root documents rather than other people's interpretations. There has been soooooo much written about Tondern over the years, not all of which is reliable.
Jackson states the Williams came down at 'Stalling about 12 miles from Esbierg' and he came down at 'Guldagen  (or Guldayer) about 3 miles from Esbierg.' As he was there at the time, I rather tend to believe him. Smile
Ian
KK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 18:06
lve seen some VERY garbled press reports from neutral press sources.They will baffle you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic