The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compasses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compasses
    Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 09:58
In the most recent issue of the Journal, a question was asked about the fitting of compasses (and other cockpit instruments) to Farmans.

I have seen plans for the interior of farman nacelles, featuring enormous naval-type compasses mounted between the pilots legs (no worries about the effects of radium then).

I am fairly sure that these plans now form part of the Brush archive held by the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland, Long Street, Wigston Magna, Leicester, LE18 2AH, 0116-2571080.

The record office has some very good glass plate negs of Longhorns too, so well worth a visit and, perhaps, an article in the Journal ?
Nick 
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 10:21
I have two books, both written by Captain F Creagh-Osborne RN, Superintendent of the Admiralty Compass Department, in 18915, entitle "The Magnetic Compass on Land" and "The Magnetic Compass in Aircraft".

The latter has chapter headings :
The Magnetic Compass, Description, Errors, Rules for Placing
Practical Use of the Compass in Aircraft
The Adjustment of Compasses in Aircraft
Description of Compasses Used in the British Service
Compasses in Observation Balloons
Variation Chart for Europe in 1914
Example of Form for Entering Compass Errors etc

Unfortunately the 'Transparent protractor for use in laying of courses' is missing from the 'pocket at end' for both copies.

As the small booklet is less than 40 pages long (including adverts), I'll run it through the copier and send it to Colin to see if it will be worthwhile scanning in at some point and copying for the Journal.
Nick
WrightBrother View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrightBrother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 11:01
Friends,  The RNAS issued a book in 1917, entitled 'Navigation, Magnetism and Deviation of the Compass', 102 pages.  I have a copy and will be happy to look up anything required .  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic