The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cooper bombs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Errol Martyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Errol Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooper bombs
    Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 03:52

I have read of 20 lb and 25 lb Cooper Bombs. Can someone confirm that these were two bombs of different type or if they were one and the same, one being wrongly described regarding its weight?

Errol
Grain Kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grain Kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 23:38
It may be 20 lb is the explosive weight, and 25 lb is the total weight including the casing. I can't find  a reference to confirm this at the moment.
Steve
Colin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009 at 10:41
Quote 'By July 1917 the veteran all-purpose 20lb Hales bomb was supplanted by the more robust and efficient 25lb Cooper bomb, later to be classified as a 20lb bomb. [Bombs Gone by MacBean & Hogben, Patrick Stephens 1990, p33]
HE Cooper bomb Mk I— Weight of case 20lb, explosives 4lb =total weight 24lb
Explosive substance: Amatol 80/20 (if filled Amatol 40/60 weight of charge 4lb 9oz)
Size: 24.4in x 5.12in maximum diameter
Colin
Errol Martyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Errol Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009 at 12:24
Thanks for this, Colin.

I've also found some useful information on The Aerodrome forum at
See post No.3, which also includes images of two pages of a Jan 1918 Air Ministry document setting out specifications.

Errol
Grain Kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grain Kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2009 at 00:05
Like Eric Morecambe, I was playing all the right words, but not necessarily in the right order   Smile

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic