The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

89th Aero USAS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marcus Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 89th Aero USAS
    Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 15:51
Does anyone have any information about the 89th Aero Squadron United States Air Services. I think they may have been at Issoudun during 1918.
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 16:19

Hi Marcus

What do you want to know ?
Nick

Marcus Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2009 at 10:56
Nick

Sorry not to have got back to you sooner.

I cannot find any trace of the 89th, but am led to believe that they were active in France - possibly at Issoudun.

Any information on their deployment, personnel and activities - however littel - would be appreciated.

Marcus
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 16:36
Hi Marcus
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this. The 89th is proving to be a little elusive.

The 89th doesn't appear in the 12.9.1918 Order of Battle for Mitchell's 1st Army Air Service, which made me wonder if it was operational before the Armistice. Since I have worked through Sloan's 'Wings of Honor' to no avail.

The way US squadrons were formed doesn't make tracking them easy : they were formed with ground crew only and attached to RAF units for training. It was only when they were deemed ready for operations that the aircrew were posted in. This leads to all sorts of claims about American aircraft being based in various places when in fact the case was that the US mechanics were servicing RAF aircraft !

To make matters more interesting it was not uncommon for squadrons trained on maintaining rotaries to be activated as a SPAD squadron; though I suppose the Americans had gone through something similar already when they exchanged Nieuport 28s for SPADs.

Issoudun was a training centre.

I'll keep looking.
Nick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic