The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling Paul Hare.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alex Revell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling Paul Hare.
    Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 11:20
Paul, would you have a look at the discussion on http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?s=fa9b69f756c4f385d9c7865f3ca3b9ad&showtopic=187945 regarding a new photo of one of the early SE5s and A'4563.
Alex
Paul R Hare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 16:34
Hello Alex,
Thank you for bringing that to my attention
I have yet to check through my files but my immediate thoughts are that it cannot be A4563 as that machine was not fitted with the "greenhouse" windscreen, and because the aeroplane in the picture has an ungeared engine which A4563 did not.
It is therefore almost certainly one of the production batch of S.E.5s (with the original wings) A4845-4868.
The reason for the lack of a serial, and of any "Lift Here" markings on the rear fuselage is a mystery as is the location at which the photograph was taken. London Colney would seem the obvious choice, perhaps after some local repairs to account for the lack of markings.
The panels aroound the engine also seem to be unpainted, although this may be a trick of the light.
It is certainly a most interesting photo.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic