The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C&C Article

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Alex Revell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C&C Article
    Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 09:37
Hello all,
Some time ago now, although not that long ago, there was an article in the journal - I think by Peter Cooksley -  about the travels of 3 Sqdn during  the RFC manoeuvres in 1913. I've been all through the indices of the journals and also through the journals by hand, but can't find it. Can anyone tell me the issue of the journal whcih contained the article.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 17:10
I've now been through all the journals back to 1992 without success. I'm beginning to think I must have dreamt it!
Paul R Hare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 11:00
There was an excellent article in AIR POWER REVIEW volume 6 No. 4 (winter 2003)
Perhaps you were thinking of that.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 13:10
Thanks Paul, but I don't take APR so it can't have been. As I remember it its was a fairly personal type of article which detailed - I think, 3 Sqd's - personal travels during the manoeuvres.
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 08:11

20.132-138 A Summer Outing - The Anatomy of an Idea; Peter G Wright

Attempt to retrace the background to an exercise to assess field mobilisation of aircraft units, Evesham August 1913 (11p)

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 09:09
Morning Nick,
I'm probably being morning-after stupid, but if you mean Vol 31 No.3 2000, Pages 131-138. That's not it. The title 'A Summer Outing' certainly rings a bell, I remember it being just that kind of an article and I did think it was either Peter Cooksley or Peter Wright. Can you clarify the reference for me please.
Alex

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 09:18
Hello Alex
I copied this from the C&CI index !!

I'll check to make sure that I've copied the right bit....

The article was by Peter Wright, of that I am sure, and inspired by McCudden's account in '5 Years in the RFC'.
Nick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 09:22
It's Volume 20, pages 132-138.

Each volume of 4 issues has sequential numbering.

Just spotted 'A Wreath for Boelcke' in the same volume : useful for my Morane Parasol diversion.. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 09:27
Here's the link for the article Paul mentions : http://www.airpowerstudies.co.uk/airpowerreview.htm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 09:33
Thanks Nick, that's the one. Going through my journals by hand, as it were, I only went back to 1991. Isn''t that always the way! But I was pretty sure that I saw the article since I've been down here in Cornwall, which is since 1997 or so. Time flies by so quickly. I'm currently working on a biography of McCudden so this is a very interesting article. Do you know the email address of Peter so that I can ask permission to reproduce the photo/sketch of The Plough Inn.
Alex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic