The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spandu for sale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
69 Daytona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Daytona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spandu for sale
    Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 17:51
I have a Spandu machine gun for sale, came off a German WW1 air craft.
It has been decommissioned and is missing the bolt. Barrel welded up at breech.
All other parts look great, also have the interuptor for it.
I hope these pics work, if not please PM me with your email and I can send some pictures.

John McKenzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John McKenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 10:07
Hello

For  information ,...... Both the "Top Cover with its back sight"  & also the"Feed Block" , both engraved / stamped with # 2343 , have come off a GROUND , MG 08/15 version of the gun .
These parts therefore do NOT belong to the same gun as the basic LMG 08/15 Breach / barrel jacket & rest of the assembly .

The parts , coming from a MG 08/15 , and not LMG 08/15 ,......The serial # 2343 would also  be  Too Low for it to have applied to a  Spandau  LMG , of 1917 date ..... I may be mistaken , but I do not see a Letter suffix to the number 2343 ?

The "Style of Feed block" is correct in that it is the later , second type , with upper hand grip lip & the ammo belt feed pawl , but  that would only have been used on the Spandau  LMG 08/15 , from serial # about 4000  ,  early 1917 onwards .

What is the serial # of the main breach part of the gun , as stamped on the side plate ?
This is likely of a late manufacture , as it has the later style of charging handle (Durchladehebel)

Production of LMG 08/15 commenced at the Spandau arsenal in May 1916 , and almost 25,000 were manufactured during the war .

I would be interested to know the asking price for this item ....(PM me if you like to ).

John M

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic