The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sopwith cockpit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adrian Roberts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sopwith cockpit.
    Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 02:34
In the latest CCI Journal, Vol 43/2, there is a photo on page 082 of the cockpit of a Sopwith Bomber. Probably a unique photo, especially as Jimmy Glen who took the photo then annotated it.

I was intrigued by the large drum to contain the used ammunition belts. It is furnished with a handle, which the pilot turned to wind up the belt onto a reel.

Presumably he was supposed to do this in the middle of combat! My question is, was this common to all later scouts? Or, was the handle replaced by a spring later? How did this work on two-gun fighters ["scouts"] like the  Camel? Or, did they use a disintegrating link system?

On the next page, there is a Pup with a chute of some kind attached to the gun. Was this for used cartridges, or used links?
John McKenzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John McKenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 19:24
Hello Adrian .
I do not have a copy of that to which you refer , however I offer this :-
Here are views of the Sopwith Pup Ammo reel showing the little spool upon which ( from memory) is wound a cable that itself is under spring tension ...The handle which faces the pilot is on the Other side .
This suits a canvas belt of Std. 250 rounds ( other lengths may have been available)...The empty belt exits the Vickers feed block on the LH side & a Shoot UNDER the gun carries the used cartridges down to & out of the bottom of the aircraft .

Live ammo drums were sprung loaded to prevent the mass of the rotating drum from overtaking the feed /consumption rate at which the MG fired ...Other drums such as in Spad 7 type used a central conical spring as a form of speed brake .
The Handle on the live Ammo belt , ( if this is what you refer to) is , if I remember correctly , used for Loading , rather than having to be turned during operation of the gun , which has a "certain amount of power" in its operation , to Pull the belt , turning the reel & up through the feed block .

Disintegrating link belts were available to the British by about June 1916 & were a direct copy of the German belt , which was issued early in 1916 .
Thus these were available for the Camel ...Certainly , Reels were not employed & ammo was stored in separate Ally' boxes without of course any empty belt reels .
The ( W.DeCourcy) Prideaux disintegrating links were issued in 1918 & remained in service till 30's.

With the introduction of disintegrating links ( which were sometimes collected) , the live ammo was stored in Aluminium ( or sometimes wooden) box/containers , delivering to the RH side of the feed block ,....Reels no longer being required either for the live rounds , or to take up the empty canvas belt , the latter previously having been sprung loaded to tension the empty belt .

Hope this of some help ....JMSmile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John McKenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 19:27
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 01:46
Thanks John, I'll scan and post a copy of the photo tomorrow- getting a bit late now!
Dogzbody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogzbody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 16:36
Adrian, John,
                   I recall reading Sgt Edward Mills of 44HD Sqn describe the fitting of perforated mesh shields over the Camel's (delivered from Boulton Paul in the summer of 1917) rotary engine air intakes to prevent spent cartridge cases being sucked in.
John, I still have a couple of Prideaux disintegrating links I picked up in the road during the Battle of Britain. Very interesting Pup amunittion feed photos, apart from the slow rate of fire I cannot recall this system being crticised, unlike the British built SPAD VII's of 19 Sqn that had problems with drum overfeeding.

At last Friday's C&C Essex Chapter meeting, the recent auction of a silver bowel presented to Lieut Allan Jerrard VC, raised an interesting discussion.
Allan Jerrard was the only Camel pilot to be awrded the Victoria Cross. It appears numerous stories surrounding the incident exist, but the fact remains, he had been yet another brave 20 year old scout pilot, a credit to No.66 Sqn.                                  TTFN,   Dogzbody.       
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 01:29
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 01:33
The previous post shows the photo of the Sopwith Bomber cockpit (I don't seem to be able to include text in the same post).
The handle I am talking about is labelled 13 "drum for winding in used ammunition belt". Its not entirely clear if the words are those of the pilot Jimmy Glen, or author Stuart Taylor.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 01:36
This photo is of the Sopwith Pup with what appears to be a used cartridge chute attached to the gun. I've seen other photos of Pups with this feature, but not all did.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John McKenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 08:45
Hi Adrian ...Its been some 40 years since I was at all involved with Pups , and only then in as much as manufacturing components (as above etc.) , so I was obviously a bit "rusty" as to layout , although I must still have the Drgs somewhere .

Your first photo:- 
( My Mistake earlier )...Obviously the Reel/Drum  that is shown in your photo , ( as also , per that of the parts  which I posted a pic.s  of , also ).... is the " USED belt take up reel " rather than a live ammo reel .
The Live ammo in this case is stored in the Aluminium box that can be seen to the right of the control column .
Without getting out Pup Drg.s ...I suspect that the handle was in fact used to "maintain" the required amount of pre-loaded tension on the used belt reel  as well as setting the "initial" preload .
 As the drum winds up the belt , the preload gradually lessens & so occasionally a few of turns would need to be applied on the handle to "maintain the pre-load" .

Second photo:-  
The Shoot on the LH side of the MG is for directing Used Disintegrated Links or the Used belt , as they exits from the LH side of the MG Feed Block ....in the first case discharging into the airstream (links) or , flapping about in the airstream ! if (unlikely) , it still used still the fabric belt .

( NOT seen in the Pup photo ) :-
The Used Brass CARTRIDGE Cases , in the case of the Vickers , ...discharge " Vertically Downwards" out of the BOTTOM of the gun ....These are usually directed overboard ,..via a shoot which slots into place on the bottom of the Vickers .....The shoot/s , may exit to the side as per Camel .

JM
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 01:16
Thanks John, and DB

So we can conclude the pilot was expected to wind the empty-belt handle as his belt fed through, but that it was only the first few months of use of the aircraft-mounted Vickers that it was was necessary - on the Strutters and early Pups, and maybe the Spad VII. From about early 1917, it seems that disintegrating links were used, so no need to take up a belt: this would have been essential in a Camel with its two guns.

Adrian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic