The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Morane BB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 08:25
Derek,
Yes, I have been through the Journal. The index lists the aircraft both under 'Morane BB' and 'Morane Biplane'. One of the most interesting photos is of the Spanish built Hispano engined BB. Going through the Journal looking at the photos highlights what a great debt of gratitude the Society owes to Jack Bruce & Stuart Leslie !
Nick 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 16:00
Does anyone know of a Morane BB test flown by the Germans ?

I've just been sent a photo of a BB with German markings on it and a German 2-seater in the background.

Favourite possibilities are Palmer & Birdwood's 5137, 3 Sqn, shot down by Immelmann on 2.3.1916 or Kelly & Sturrock's A137, 1 Sqn, posted MIA 16.10.1916.

Anyone know of pictures of crashes of these aircraft ?

Thanks
Nick
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 22:25
A very young Officer Herbert F Birdwood.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 10:02

I have a reference to Morane-Saulnier BB '3683' (the only one oeprated by the RNAS) being flown by a 'Captain Allardyce'.

Does anyone know anything bout 'Allardyce' ? I've not been able to track him down.

Many thanks
Nick
EnglishGent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishGent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 01:33
Nick I'll try again

I found a Capt Allardyce in Flight on 1919 pg 218

Capt. A. H. Allardyce relinquishes his commn. on account of ill-health

and is permitted to retain the rank of Capt.; Feb. 1.

Also - Sec. Lieut. Archibald Henry Allardyce, R.A.F.

On 1919 pg 566  - he was elected to something

I know it doesn’t mention a Morane,  but it was free

Derek

KK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 17:28
And hes just killed a dog with that sword....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 09:32
3683 was flown by Temporary Flight Sub Lieutenant Arthur Henerderson Allardyce to Dunkerque (St Pol).

Allardyce was appointed Temporary Sub Flight Lieutenant, RNAS, on 16.5.1916 and Lieutenant (Honorary Captain) in the RAF (Aeroplane & Seaplane officer) in April 1918.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 09:46
Sorry, that should have read "Archiblad Henry Allardyce"...

His election to to the Royal Aero Club (noted as Second Lieutenannt RAF) was reported by Flight on 1.5.1919 (p566).

On 13.2.1919 (p218) Flight reported that "Captain AH Allardyce relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health, and is permitetd to retain the rank of Captain : February 1."
KK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 11:35
Sorry that should have read  ARCHIBALD ........
WE KNOW A SONG ABOUT THAT DONT WE ?...Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic