The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X Flight, Middle East

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X Flight, Middle East
    Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 10:46
AIR 1/477/15/312/230 Summary of operations by `X' Flight, R.A.F
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 22:29
X Flight.

That was from 14 Sqn and became Lawrence's Private Airforce if memory serves. 

Interesting.  It might help sort out the disaster of a book "Lawrence of Arabia's Secret Air Force, James Patrick Hynes (Pen and Sword, 2010).

I bought this full of hopes.  After all it was billed as "Based on the Diary of Flt Sgt George Hynes."  Rarely have I been so disappointed in a book.  There is so much potential in the diary, but (in my opinion anyway) it has been totally wasted in this book.  Split up into small bites with 'explanations' and colour pieces by the author.  Please leave the damn diary in one piece and just go with a scene setting chapter at the beginning and end.

If you want to see how a diary can be respectfully presented try to find a copy of One Airman's War - Aircraft Mechanic Joe Bull's Personal Diaries 1916-1919 (1 Sqn Australian F C, Palestine), editied by Mark Lax.  It's an Australian publication (Banner Books, 1997) and will be hard to track down.  Make the effort.  There is one copy on abebooks - grab it!

Rant over.
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 08:46
I endorse Ian's comments on Joe Bull's diary.

The book is worth getting for the appendices alone, though I remain sceptical about the validity of some of 1AFC's claims. However, the same is true of 14 Squadron (and I have mentioned to Mike O'Connor about mentions of 'Aviatiks' when FA300 didn't have any, and 'Fokkers' of which they didn't lose any..)

I managed to get a copy via a Forum member in Australia....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic