The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Billy' Stutt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Billy' Stutt
    Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 09:58
According to HC Miller's 'Early Birds', (Miller worked for Sopwiths) "...I was about to pay seventy-five pounds for Aero Club tuition when Billy Stutt offered to teach me for nothing while testing Bristol machines. He began taking me up with him and I was doing finr, but romance stepped in for Billy and be became more interested in taking up a beautiful girl friend...."

"Next day Billy Stutt, apparently none the worse for the party, had his machines lined up and his pupils grouped around for the military take-over. It had been announced that training was to be continued by military instructors whose experience none of us held in much regard..... By evening no machine remained serviceable and even Billy Stutt was too exhausted to laugh any more.
"What are you going to do, Billy ?" I asked.
"Hanged if I know," he admitted. "I've been offered a job as test pilot at farnborough."
"What ! Flying those old B.E.s ?"
He shrugged.
"Well, I have to do something, I suppose, or go back to Australia."....

(Major CE Foggin ~ though Miller recalls him as FN Foggin) asked me at this stage whether I had done any flying, and when I told him about my tuition with Billy Stutt at Brooklands he roared above the noise of the engine :
"Billy Stutt ! Why, he taught me to to fly. There's nothing I can teach you after him !"

......As I was due to leave in a few days I went across from Sydney to Richmond to say goodbye tyo Billy Stutt who had returned from England to take charge of the Air Force training school at this centre (Point Cook). He laughed heartily when he heard what was in store for me and in an effort to cheer me up took me for a flight in one of the old Curtiss Jenny training machines and then to his home to meet his beautiful young wife and team of lively youngsters."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic