The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RE7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DuffGenMerchant View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuffGenMerchant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RE7
    Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 20:02
Not meant to be a silly question gentlemen, but which was the pilot's cockpit in the RE7, front or rear?  I've found a number of images of the type but always without crew, and descriptions rather overlook the point.
Paul R Hare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 07:53
The Pilot was in the rear cockpit.
R.E.7 was a development of R.E.5 and was designed pre-war, before arming aeroplanes became an issue. It made sense therefore to put the observer in the front cockpit, close to the centre of gravity, so that the machine would trim the same if flown solo and thus not mean ballast if the cockpit was empty.
Hope this helps.

DuffGenMerchant View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuffGenMerchant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 08:14
Many thanks Paul, that resolves a little puzzle I had.  I've a cloud photo taken from an RE7 that shows (out of focus) one of the bracing wries - which I thought placed the photographer in the front cockpit, but I needed to check.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic