The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What type was A129?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EnglishGent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishGent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What type was A129?
    Posted: 31 May 2011 at 17:56
Can anyone tell me what type of aircraft "A129" was?  It is missing from my referances.
You folks are the best for these quick questions.
Thank you ahead of time
Derek
Alex Revell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 16:29
According to Bruce Robertson's, British Military Aircraft Serials, batch A116 - 315 were, quote: 'Purchased by General Headquarters, Royal Flying Corps, British Expeditionary Force in France.' He then lists many different types of aeroplanes and their serials, but A129 is not shown. A127-A128 are given as Morane Scouts, and A130 a Nieuport Scout . So A129 is jumped. Same applies in the Nieuport Scout book published by the society.  So It's a bit of a mystery. There may never, of course, even been a A129. Why do you ask.
Alex  
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishGent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 14:54

Thanks for trying Alex.  The reason I asked is I am putting WWI serials into a spreadsheet so access is a little easer while I am looking up a bunch of numbers.  I am working on some indexes for the journals, coordinated with Barbra & Colin, and you are right British Military Aircraft Serials does skip it.  That is why I asked.  Well it looks like I finial stumped everyone across the pond.

Thanks

Derek
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 15:00
Derek
Short of a picture turning up - and I wouldn't rule that out - the answer to your original question would appear to be 'French'.

As there was a British Commission purchasing these aircraft, and a finance department processing the orders, it seems odd that there isn't a record somewhere of A129.

I've come across lots of odds and ends on purchasing commissions (mostly in the US), but no indepth accounts : looks like an ideal subject for some serious research ?
Nick
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishGent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 15:43

Thanks Nick,

Your answer struck me as very funny!  LOL I guess I could call it an ally machine also but that won’t help.

Thanks a bunch, Nick, I appreciate you answering back anyway.

Derek

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic