The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAF ranks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 22:46

He could have held a rank in the RAF, but been on a civilian payroll depending on what he was being asked to do..  This happened to Cecil Charles Morley who flew with 66 Sqn in WW1 and left the service to continue his education at Birmingham University.  He joined the A/M Works and Buildings Dept  as a Civil Engineer in 1928 and was posted to M.E., Aden, UK.  After WW2 he was sent to Germany to help with the rebuilding of airfield etc for the RAF and to give him sufficient status and seniority when in high level meetings he was given the rank of AC, this was Gazetted on 02/03/14 until 01/05/51 when he returned to the UK. To quote from his record ”Emoluments will remain on a civilian basis w.e.f. 05/12/47.  Not entitled to RAF pay allowances or non effective benefits.  Uniform grant £42 + £10 tropical allowance."

Alex Revell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 10:50
Huckj
Yes, that may well be it. Because of the delicate nature of G-M's task in France he would have had to have had some kind of official service standing. That still leaves the question , of course, as to why he gave an army rank, not an RAF one. I don't suppose we will ever know. 
Malcolm_raf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm_raf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 10:54
Because the RAF ranks were unfamiliar to most people at that time many retired RAF officers (with pre 1919 service) preferred to use Army ranks so that the uninitiated understood.  If he had left the RAF as an Acting Captain he would have been allowed to retain the rank of Captain as a title in retirement
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 11:55

Malcolm,

Yes, that may well be the reason. Another possibility, which I think more likely, is that giving him an army rank may have been to hide the rather delicate nature of his operations in France at the time, which was to establish if the French were building aerodromes which they could use in any hostilities with the British.  When G-M told me about this I was dubious, at first, it didn't seem to me very possible that the French had any such attentions against the UK, especially so soon after the war, but I later found a document in the PRO which confirmed that there were suspicions/fears in high quarters that this was perceived as a possibility in 1926. As usual, G-M was right.

Malcolm_raf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm_raf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 13:42
Hi Alex

The French threat was certainly a fact, if you look at RAF dispoistions before the 1935, most RAF stations, bomber and fighter where in the South and Central areas as government policy was to maintain parity with the nearest country with the largest military forces which was France at the time.

After Germany's announccement of the Luftwaffe the RAF started moving its bomber bases to East Anglia, Lincolnshire and Yorkshire to be nearer the new threat.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm_raf - 22 Jan 2012 at 13:43
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 14:33
Malcolm,
Just so.
Alex

Edited by Alex Revell - 22 Jan 2012 at 14:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic