The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

strange wings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hutch758 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutch758 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strange wings
    Posted: 13 May 2011 at 13:33
[Good day members, I have recently come across a bit of a puzzle, whilst talking to a gentleman who has his fathers WW1 flying record (in fact an archive) a question arose about his wings, a photo shows them as pilots wings as normal but instead of RAF in the centre the letters are ARF, most strange, he has never been able to find out anything about this. So on his behalf I am posting this question and hoping someone out there may be able to help
Thank You
Geoff Hutchins
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 13:39
Are you sure that the photo has not been 'doctored' ?

It was common for embarkation leave photos to be taken and also for newly qualified pilots to be posted overseas before their wings arrived. To deal with this, the photographer scratched a set of wings, in reverse, on the negative plate.

I have two versions of the same 7 Squadron pilot's portrait that illustrates this point, together with a letter from the 20TS tailor stating 'Herewith enclosed your wings. I hope you wear them with pride", which were returned to the pilot's mother by the Squadron as by the time they arrived he was dead (mid air collision with a 9 Sqn RE8).

Given this scenario, it is highly possible that the photographer made a slight error.

I would check the picture carefully for signs of 'doctoring'.
Nick
It may well
Hutch758 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutch758 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 14:30
My Goodness, what a rapid reply. Thanks Nick
Well, at the moment the gent is on Holiday so am unable to talk to him, however I saw him about four weeks ago and he has the wings, and I have a photo provided by him of his father in uniform with the wings added at the bottom. So photo has not been doctored, I think this puzzle will rumble on for a bit, as soon as he is back I will obtain lots more information and post it. By the way he did tell me that he has tried for years to get some answers.
Thanks again for quick reply
Geoff Hutchins
WrightBrother View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrightBrother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 15:37
We've had this situation before.  Was the pilot's name Latham?

Peter Wright
Hutch758 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutch758 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 16:42
Yes it was. Had the situation before? When was that? I only found out about this because his son is a customer of mine (he is in his eighties)

Geoff Hutchins
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic