The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vulcan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DuffGenMerchant View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuffGenMerchant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vulcan
    Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 14:23
Was there a WW1 aeroplane known as the Vulcan?  I've been told a friend's great-uncle was killed whilst testing one in June 1918, but not having been able to find a descriotion of said aeroplane I wonder if he is mistaken.
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 14:27
There was a Vickers Vulcan, but that first flew in April 1922 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Vulcan
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuffGenMerchant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 15:32
Much obliged Nick, my friend is obviously mistaken. 

Perhaps I can try another approach.  The man who was killed was Lt Donald Humphrey Sessions MC on 20 June 1918.  The CWGC gives his unit as No 2 School of Aerial Gunnery, but it is possible that should be No 1 SAG.  The announcement of his death in The Times simply recorded he died 'whilst flying in Kent' .  It just crosses my mind that the reference to Kent might mean the accident happened at Hythe. Would that rather sparse information be sufficient for an expert on this period to fill in the gaps please?
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 16:15
Chris Hobson "Airmen Died" should give you the details of the aircraft, if they are known.

My copy is at home, but I can check it next week for you if no one posts before then.

Alternatively, the casualty record crads at the RAF MUsuem (Hendon) will provide the info.
Nick 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuffGenMerchant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 16:27
Thank you Nick, that would be very kind of you.  I thought I would try the forum first as Hendon is so busy it takes a while to get a response.  (That's not a complaint as I appreciate the constraints under which the research department works.)
AndyK View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 16:49
Hobson says:
"SESSIONS, Lt Donald Humphrey, MC. 1 (Obs) Sch of AG, pilot. Native of Quedgeley. KWF 20.6.18. Buried at Quedgeley, Glos."
No aircraft details ...
AndyK
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuffGenMerchant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 16:51
Blast - but many thanks Andy.  Back to the drawing board (Hendon).
AndyK View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 16:55
Apologies to Mr Hobson!
Elsewhere in the book it gives the name of his passenger - AM1 H Munton - and details of the aircraft he was flying - DH4 serial B5454.

Air Britain DH4/9 File says of B5454:

"No 1 (O)SoAG New Romney. Test flight - tailplane failed while manouevering. A/C broke up 20.6.18. 2/Lt DH Sessions & AM1 H Munton both killed."

So there we have it ...

AndyK
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuffGenMerchant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 16:56
You are a genius Andy, grateful thanks.
AndyK View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 16:58
Intreresting to the story, DH4 B5454 was built by Vulcan Motor & Engineering Co Ltd, of Southport ...

AndyK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic