The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vulcan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vulcan

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
DuffGenMerchant View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 53
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuffGenMerchant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 16:59
That's even better as it helps  explain how my friend became confused.
Back to Top
KK View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 26 Jan 2011
Location: uk
Status: Offline
Points: 147
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 15:12
l hope you and your fried live long and prosper       Wink
Back to Top
NickForder View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Jun 2009
Location: Bolton
Status: Offline
Points: 1369
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 16:01

Some notes on Vulcan :

Vulcan took over an old ice rink at the northern end of Lord Street, close to the former Grand Cinema, to build the aeroplanes. These were then taken to John Gaunt’s former hangar on the foreshore at the northern end of Hesketh Road. This hangar, and the large expanse of hard sands adjacent, were known as Southport Sands aerodrome, and later as Hesketh Park. After the aircraft had been assembled they were flown down to the Royal Aircraft Factory at Farnborough for acceptance tests. Later the aircraft were taken, presumably by rail (Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway converted 79 carriages for transporting aircraft, at least some of these were used for transporting aircraft to/from Southport as it is known that some carried the legend “IMPORTANT - TO BE RETURNED TO SOUTHPORT WHEN EMPTY BY FIRST MEANS - REQUIRED FOR MILITARY PURPOSES*) to 1 Aircraft Acceptance Park at Coventry. When 15 AAP opened at Manchester (known as Alexandra Park, but actually on Hough End Fields) the aircraft were taken then. Later, presumably, they went by rail to Coal Aston, as did the DH9s built at NAF 2 (Heaton Chapel).
 
In 1917 the RNAS built two 12,500 square feet Bowstring Truss hangars at Southport. These are noted as having been capable of housing small coastal non-rigid airships, used mainly for anti-submarine work and convoy patrols, but there is no record of such craft being based at Southport. The facility was known as an Aircraft Storage unit, forming part of 13 (Training) Group facilities, along with 15 AAP and the Airship Construction Station at Barrow-in-Furness. Later the facility was designated No 11 Aircraft Acceptance Park (Southport), with the intention of being used to conduct acceptance trials for the Royal Air Force, though individual records for the last batch of DH9As built by Vulcan indicate that they went to 15 AAP instead..
 
The B.E. 2 biplanes were made in a range of sub-types as part of three main orders for the Royal Flying Corps (RFC). Serial block 6728-6827 were for the B.E. 2d/e. 6782, 6786, 6787, and 6791-6800 were transferred to the Imperial Russian Government. The next order was for B.E. 2c/d/e A1792-A1891. Most of these were fitted with 90 h.p. RAF 1a engines, although A1826, A1829-A1833, A1835, A1836 and A1839 were all delivered to the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) without engines. A1819 was completed as a B.E. 2g. Generally, those aircraft ordered as BE2ds seem to have been completed as BE2es.
 
Following on from this was Contract Number 87A/1871 for B.E. 2c/e B3651-B3750. Most of these aircraft were fitted with R.A.F. 1A engines, although B3657 and B307 had Curtiss OX-2 engines initially. Fifty one B.E. 2 e aircraft from this production batch were transferred to the RNAS.
 
As the wartime coalition government sought ways of limiting profits while still stimulating the expansion of manufacturing capacity, a lot of money could be gained from undertaking munitions work. Large profits made during 1916 led to questions about the Hampsons war profiteering. This resulted in them leaving Vulcan, which was then reformed as Vulcan Motor Engineering (1916). The episode caused Thomas Hampson no great difficulties as he became Lord Mayor of Southport in 1917.
 
Nor did the war profiteering claims deter Wardman for accepting new contracts for aircraft, with Contract 87/A/1413 being placed for one hundred Aircraft manufacturing Company De Havilland D.H. 4 bombers (B5451-B5550). These were to be powered by the 230 h.p. Siddeley-Deasy Puma engine though, given the production delays with this engine due to porosity of aluminium castings, the airframes may well have not been fitted with the engines they were intended to have.

A continuation order for a further one hundred D.H. 4s was expected, to be built as C1051-C1150, but this was not placed and an order for the D.H. 9 bomber was received instead under Contract  87/A/1413, AS17570, AS.1917S(BR113). These were allocated the serial block B9331-B9430, and were to be fitted with Puma engines also. The D.H. 9 was developed from the D.H. 4 and incorporated a number of modifications based on the experience of aircrew operating the D.H. 4 in France. Principal among these changes was the decision to move the pilot’s cockpit aft of the main fuel tank, so that it was adjacent to the observer’s cockpit, in order to improve communication. The issue with the D.H. 9 was to be linked to its association with the Puma engine, the production version of which entail the modification of engine bearers so that they could not accommodate alternative engines. Production delays and the failure of the Puma to produce the hoped-for 300 h.p. meant that the type was obsolescent as it entered service. This was a consequence of relying on an underdeveloped engine to boost the performance of a dated design adopted for mass production. Nevertheless, the D.H. 9 was used widely by day bombing squadrons of the RAF, as well as undertaking anti-submarine duties.

Attempts continued to develop a replacement for the D.H. 9, with large contracts for the D.H. 10 and Vickers Vimy twin-engine bombers being placed to produce a powerful force for 1919. Also, the D.H. 9 was developed further, being fitted with a larger wing and capable of being fitted with the American 400 h.p. Liberty engine which had been developed with mass production in mind. Vulcan received an order for one hundred of these Liberty 12A D.H. 9A bombers on 21 March 1918 under 35a/414/X.293. E9868-9876 were shipped to the US Government.

A second order (H3546-H3795) was placed on 17 July 1918, under BR580 and 35a/2084/C414. The Armistice in November 1918 led H3671-H3795 to be cancelled in January 1919. H3670 seems to have been the last aircraft to be delivered, in September 1919. H3647 and H3649 were sold to Soviet Russia.

Another contract cancelled due to the end of the war was one for six hundred ABC Dragonfly radial aero-engines. These were due to be manufactured in 1919, but there were concerns about this under developed engine design already as testing had revealed torsional vibration problems which tended to cause the engine to seize after only a few hours’ running. Had the war continued in 1919 these engines may have been cancelled anyway, and possibly not replaced with other designs as Vulcan may have lacked the capability of manufacturing the alternative Bentley BR2 rotary aero-engine.

The last Vulcan D.H. 9A in RAF service was H3552, which was at 5 Flying Training School, at Shotwick, between November 1923 and January 1924. It struck Avro 504K in thick mist while landing at Shotwick on 29 November 1923. Fortunately, pilot Officer JE Dovan-Webb was unhurt. A similar accident happened on 21 January 1924, after which the D,H. 9A went to 39 Squadron.

During the Second World War (1939-1945) the Vulcan Works, now owned by Brockhouse, build aircraft gun turrets for Wellington and Lancaster bombers.

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03
Copyright ©2001-2011 Web Wiz Ltd.
find us on Facebook Follow us on TwitterGrab our news feed