The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fleiger Abteilung 300 in Palestine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fleiger Abteilung 300 in Palestine
    Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 08:55
I'm trying to source a copy of an article on FA300 published in Over the Front (Spring 1998, I think). Can anyone help ?

Many thanks
Nick
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 22:03
HI Nick,

V13N1 Spring 1998, pp2-65, to be precise.

Do you have a specific enquiry or shall I copy and post/email it over to you?

Ian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 08:54
Hi Ian
I've managed to get a copy on ebay, but thanks for the offer.

I'm interested in any references to FA300-305, Jasta 55/1F & Jasta 300/Felmy.

I started looking at the Pasha units as a means to gauge the accuracy of claims against them (particularly by 111 Squadron) and, after being amazed at the frequency that unsubstantiated British & Australian claims in the Middle East are repeated and the misidentification of aircraft used, I thought that it was time to compile all the info I had and put it together for the Journal.

Admittedly, the surviving German records aren't good (for any other than FA304b), and are often misleading about dates, but I believe that there is enough to put forward a reasoned view and the basis for debate over the areas of uncertainty.

The role of the RNAS in the Middle East is little known which is why your work on Ben-My-Chree is appreciated. I do need to look at RNAS seaplane ops prior to Ben-My-Chree's deployment, and confirm Turkish attempts to deploy aircraft prior to the Pasha units arriving.
Nick
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 02:14
Nick,
From your reply I'm not certain if you are looking just at Palestine operations are the whole gamut from Gallipoli to Mesopotamia and all points in between.

If you are looking only to Palestine...  Well for the RNAS before and after Ben there was not a lot of aerial combat - and Ben came off second best.

Have you looked at or are you aware of:

Cross and Cockade US V11N2, Summer 1970, The Ottoman Air Force in the Great War - The Reports of Major Erich Sarno.  Trans by Dr Brian Flanagan.  A useful but non-critical contemporary commentary.

If you want more on Gallipoli.  Try Over The Front V9N1,2 and 3, 1994 - Over The Wine Dark Sea, Aerial Aspects of the Dardanelles/Gallipoli Campaign by R D Layman, Ian Burns and Richard T Whistler.  Also V11N4, Winter 1996 - The Port Said Squadron, French Naval Aviation 1914-16 by Thierry Le Roy.

Ian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 10:26
Ian,
I'm trying to restrict myself to Palestine, mainly as this project began with the history of 111 Squadron and latterly I had been wading through the mismanagement of Operation Torch.

I want to look at the RNAS involvement for 'completeness', and also because of my suspicion that sightings of supposed Turkish aircraft prior to the arrival of FA300 must have been either RNAS, French or RFC aircraft.

I have a copy of the Flanagan work which, as you say, is non-critical and also reveals a (not surprising) German-centric interpretation sometimes at odds with David Nicolle's later work.

I have Over the Wine Dark Seas, and some stuff on the French (mostly in French), but would apprecate a copy of OTF V11N4, Winter 1996 - The Port Said Squadron, French Naval Aviation 1914-16 by Thierry Le Roy, if that is possible ?
Many thanks
Nick
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 22:46
Nick,

Not a problem.  The Roy article is only 11 pages so it should email OK.

I'll need an address though...

Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic