The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seaplanes at Poole?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
David Seymour View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Seymour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seaplanes at Poole?
    Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 17:00
I'm doing some research on behalf of Poole Flying Boats Celebration (a registered charity in England and Wales - No. 1123274) into the possibility of there having been a detachment of Short 184s, (from Portland or Calshot) somewhere in Poole Harbour in the latter years of the Great War.  The location may have been called Poole or Hamworthy or Lake or West Quay or West Bay - sorry to be so vague about that!

I have been through the 184s in Sturtivant and Page's RN Serials 1911 - 1919 and have found nothing, except one which force-landed at Poole.

As always, grateful for any help you can give.

With best wishes,
David
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 08:43
David,
I assume you have checked through the various 'Wings over Dorset' books (of which I have, at least, two)?

I have found mention of similar short term deployments that don't seem to have made it in to official records.

I'd ask : Why they were there ? Was it for co-operation with the Navy ? Was it air defence ? Are you sure they were 184s ? What unit were they detached from ?
Nick
David Seymour View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Seymour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 09:45
Nick,
Yes, I've been through "Wings over Dorset" - to no avail.  It also occured to me that they might not have been 184s and I have begun checking other seaplanes. 
David
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 09:55
Have you looked at Rodney Legg's "Dorset Flight: The Complete History" ?
It isn't (complete that is) but it is full of trivia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic