The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WWI Photo Reconnaissance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PltOff Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PltOff Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WWI Photo Reconnaissance
    Posted: 30 May 2009 at 23:07

I'm trying to find out more about this, specifically French PR units and the types of cameras they used. Were there any specific C&Cs pertaining to this?  Books? Websites?

Tom
timslater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timslater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 19:12

Tom,

A good start would be 'Shooting the Front: Allied Aerial Reconnaissance and Photographic Interpretation on the Western Front - World War 1' by Terrence Finnegan available new from the US Government online bookstore:

http://bookstore.gpo.gov/actions/GetPublication.do?stocknumber=008-020-01554-7

I have a similar area of interest.  I'm currently doing a Masters Degree in First World War Studies at Birmingham University, England and am looking at the evolution of British Photographic Interpretation during WW1 as a potential theme for my dissertation.  Should you come across any relevant sources of information I'd be most interested.

Tim

NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 08:59
Nothing springs to mind about the French, but for RFC :
Illustrations to Accompany Notes on the Interpretation of Aeroplane Photographs, Gunfire 36, edited by Alf Peacock
Eyes of the RAF, by Roy Conyers Nesbitt
Thornton Pickard Story, by Douglas Rendell

I assume that the JTC Moore-Brabazon autobiog will include the story about his role in developing the first British aerial camera ?

There was an exhibition at the RAF Museum (Cosford) that dealt with the history of aerial recce and its interpretation.

1 AFC seem to have photographed most of Palestine at Allenby's behest to systemically produce maps where no reliable ones existed, and so may be useful as a case study ?
Nick

timslater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timslater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 14:55
Thanks for the pointers. I wasn't aware of 'The Thornton Pickard Story', I'll follow that up.

There seems to be a reasonable amount of material available about the how the photographs were taken and with what but very little about the actual process of exploitation (photographic interpretation) and then the dissemination of the resulting intelligence.  Any thoughts?

Tim
PltOff Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PltOff Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 02:25
Tim/Nick,
           Thank you for your help!  My apologies, but computer difficulties kept me from checking here sooner.  That US government book sounds interesting, but I'll be looking for a cheaper copy.   If there's information to be found on the 'net re types of equipment, I haven't found it.

Tom 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic