The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RFC London Colney

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
se5a12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote se5a12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RFC London Colney
    Posted: 28 May 2009 at 13:09
Hi,
    After reading "High in and empty blue" I became interested in finding out exactly where 56sqn airfield was.I believe it was in South Mimms area but not at the De Havilland Museum.I have tried to identify the shape of the field with farmers fields in the area but can't see it....Help.!!
Jonathan Saunders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 14:17
Several years ago I did ask at the De Havilland museum and from memory I was told it was about 2 fields down, pointing to about 1 o'c as you drive through the entrance gate to the museum (not the road leading up to the museum), so thats what I have always believed.

Regards,

Jonathan S
Alex Revell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 09:41
The aerodrome straddled Shenley Lane. As you leave the last houses in Shenley it was the large field on your left (going  north). The field on the opposite side of the road was also used, but the field on the left was the landing field with hangars.  There is a full description of the location of the site (with photographs) in High In The Empty Blue.
Regards
Alex Revell
se5a12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote se5a12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2009 at 20:12
Thanks for your answers It was Great to hear from Alex himself ,from the shape of the field and using Google Multimap I can see the same shape on Shenley Lane and the junction of Harper Lane.Just facinating to think that Ball and the others departed from there in 1917.....

NedSeagoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NedSeagoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 09:44
I thought you might be interested in this link which I shows where the airfield was.

The ABCT is the Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust (a new one on me) but the web site checks out as safe.

It is quite sobering to think that Mannock, Ball and many others, who carved a brief name for themselves over the trenches, flew from this place just down the road from where I live.

http://www.abct.org.uk/page_1809.html

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 10:10
NedSeagoon,
Yes, good, but would have been better/helpful if a compass reading had been given. OK if one knows the area, as you obviously do, and can orientate oneself, confusing if not.
Yours
Bluebottle
NedSeagoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NedSeagoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 12:44
Ah Bluebottle (we meet again!)

Apologies for the lack of information on the link.

The following is a URL to the site on Google Maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=shenleybury&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.122306,56.601563&ie=UTF8&ll=51.706821,-0.293498&spn=0.013031,0.043945&t=h&z=15

London Colney and St. Albans are to the north of the M25 at the top of the field.

Ned

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 13:22
Neddie,
Yes, I knew that because I too know - or rather knew - the area. Stop deading me!!
Bluebottle.
'Eccles, leave yourself alone.'
' But I like it'.
DuffGenMerchant View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuffGenMerchant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 19:51
You might like to look at this website:

Brian
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 10:35
Duff,
Thanks. Very nice view of the aerodome.
Alex
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic