The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albert Ball VC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chris C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albert Ball VC
    Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 17:41

I am a military artist (www.collingwoodhistoricart.com) and I have been commissioned to paint a portrait of Albert Ball VC. I have chosen to set the image in early 1917 when Ball was a (temp) Captain and flight commander of 56 squadron. I wish to show him wearing his infantry jacket and not the more often copied ‘Maternity’ fronted tunic. I know he wore both during this period. Here the problems begin as I need to know if he wore the cuff titles of a captain or retained his single pip second lieutenant distinction. Also the photo I have shows an infantry tunic with very indistinct collar badges and unreadable button design. (Possibly Sherwood Forrester s)I need to know what these are.Please can you help? Many thanks, Chris Collingwood

NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 08:53
Chris
Ball would have been wearing rank badges relating to his local rank (i.e. Captain).

He was commissioned in to the 2/7th (Robin Hood Rifles) Battalion, The Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derbys), Territorial Force.

The RHR, as their name suggests, wore Rifle Brigade accoutrements (and a green full dress uniform, rather than the red tunic (white facings until 1913, Lincoln green facings subsequently) / blue trousers (red stripe) and white metal/ silver accoutrements of the other TF battalions). This dates back to raising of Rifle Volunteer companies in the 1860s, and permission to change the original utilitarian grey uniform for various versions of the uniforms worn by the Regulars).

Therefore, the buttons on the SD tunic would have been black, with light infantry 'bugle horns'. The cap and collar badges for the RHR are unique, and in black.

The Sherwood Foresters Museum 
The Castle
Nottingham NG1 6EL
should be able to provide you with the precise information you need.
Nick

PS  The RHR was the Nottingham City Territorial Battalion. It was re-roled in 1936 as the 42nd (The Robin Hoods, Sherwood Foresters) Anti-Aircraft Battalion, Royal Artillery. In 1947 the RHR became a searchlight unit, then an AA battery again, a Royal Engineers unit, and then a company of 3 (Volunteer) Battalion when the Sherwood Foresters amalgamated with the Worcestershire Regiment, to form WFR (now 2 Battalion, The Mercian Regiment). RHR was disbanded, finally, in 1999.
Chris C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 15:34
Nick,
thank you so much your answer really helps. I have an un- adorned  ww1officers tunic to pose my model in, now all I need are examples of the badges and buttons. Very grateful thank you.

Chris.
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 16:15
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic