The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spad identification help request

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
yossarian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yossarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spad identification help request
    Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 11:04
Gentlemen,

I have enjoyed the Cross & Cockade website for a while; my compliments on such a knowledgable and active centre of excellence.

I wonder if you could help us with a little detective work. Here you will see a post that describes what we are up to, an update is here. The primary source material we have is exquisite as I am sure you will agree (though very little is shown ).  

Q. Which squadron do the Spad(s) belong to, and where might they have been based along the Front? When I get a date from the letters I may be able to narrow the photo down.

There is so much more that I could say but for the moment, do you want to have a little fun with this for a starter?

This image is a Cross & Cockade exclusive for you. It has never been published and has hardly even seen the light of day since 1918.  It is one of many...

Edited by yossarian - 08 Jan 2011 at 11:21
AndyK View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 16:44
Hi Norman

As the chap walking up the line sports an RFC "maternity jacket", I assume we're looking at a line-up of machines from either 19 or 23 Sqn RFC - both of which used SPADs until they swapped to Dolphns in early 1918.

Do you have any shot showig the rear fuselage??

Andy
yossarian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yossarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 23:06
Thanks Andy, a quick Google should have told me that we used the Spad. These must be 23 Sqn as there is more than one (19 only had one). If we confirm that they are indeed from 23, the rest should follow. I will get Piers to root around and see if there are more photos.
After that we can see if 70 or 40 Sqn were co-located and that should help things along with the timeline.

Edited by yossarian - 09 Jan 2011 at 23:07
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 09:03

Norman

Aren't these SPAD VIIs and not XIIIs ?

The two Spads in the background have striped cowlings which I to think were used by the French SPA 150, the Belgian 5th Escadre and, possibly,  some 19 Squadron RFC aircraft ?

Of course, the photo may not be of France as a number of Spad VIIs ended up with HE training units, particularly British-built ones that weren't sold to the Americans.
Nick

yossarian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yossarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 11:41
Originally posted by NickForder NickForder wrote:

Norman
Aren't these SPAD VIIs and not XIIIs ?
The two Spads in the background have striped cowlings which I to think were used by the French SPA 150, the Belgian 5th Escadre and, possibly,  some 19 Squadron RFC aircraft ?

Of course, the photo may not be of France as a number of Spad VIIs ended up with HE training units, particularly British-built ones that weren't sold to the Americans.
Nick

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the response.

Looking up close they seem to have a single Vickers which would point to the earlier Mark. I had no idea we build the Spad... LOL 

Arthur took his camera into the air with him quite often, we have some interesting air to air shots. If he did that he may have taken stills almost anywhere he flew into. An interesting unit down the road with friends within it would make a great break for a quiet time. 
Dropping in on each other for tea and fuel may complicate these questions of course.

Edited by yossarian - 10 Jan 2011 at 11:43

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 11:52
Bleriot built Spad 7s at Addlestone and Mann Egerton built them in Norwich. Look at the cabane struts as a recognition feature.

Derek Palmer's 'Fighter Squadron' (privately published history of 19 Sqn) has a fair amount of WW1 information in it (unlike most WW2-biased Sqn histories).

If you have the full name of the photographer, together with his rank and trade (e.g was he aircrew ?), there are other ways of determining the sqn9s) in which he served.
yossarian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yossarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 12:09
Aha, Major Arthur Keen MC. C/O of 40 Squadron (1918).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 12:14
So, I assume that you are familiar with "The Military Cross to Flying Personnel of Great Britain and the Empire 1914-1919 with service biographical details of recipients" by Hal Giblin & Norman Franks ?
yossarian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yossarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 12:22
Sadly not Nick, it is this sort of knowledge pool that I haven't yet delved into as I am up to my ears with other stuff at the moment. Sometimes just knowing the name of the reference material helps you source the tome - like now for instance, I have found it and could buy it.

Edited by yossarian - 10 Jan 2011 at 12:24

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 12:41
Catch-22 , I guess ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic