The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spad identification help request

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Flashman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 10:49
HI Yossarian,

I would love to see your Spad photos as I suspect they may be from 23 sqn RFC. 23 Sqn RFC was co-located with 40 sqn at Bruay according to an article in September 2011s Flypast (in an article about 40 sqn pilot, Bill Bond) and this includes a photo of a 23 sqn RFC spad.

Im looking for photos of Spads as part of a project to create 'skins' for RFC Spad VIIs for the flight simulator, Rise of Flight and I want them to be as accurate as possible and your photos could be a wonderful resourse.

Are you or have you published these photos anywhere recently?

Regards

Falshy

Flashman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 14:26
Hi Nick,

That list of British SPAD 7s is great, really useful for my purposes. Where did you get it from? Also would you know which where 150 hp and which here 180hp engine types and /or when they where delivered?

Failing that letting me know where to get that information would be great.
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 08:18
The Spad stuff was compiled from the sources quoted, odd notes compiled over many years, with additions from Bruce Robertson's 'British Aircraft Serials 1878-1987' and 'Royal Navy Aircraft Serials 1911-1919' by Ray Sturtivant & Gordon Page (Air Britain).

As the British Spads were all ordered by the Admiralty, initially, the latter is a particularly good source, and will tell you the engine(s) fitted, if known.

I assume that individual record cards  still exiist in the National Archives (PRO ) ?
Nick
Flashman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 10:28
Hi Nick,

I have just ordered a copy of the British Aircraft Serials which should be useful, thanks for that reference.

The aircraft engines I am interested in at the moment are the French built models supplied to the RFC in France as these are the one used, in the main, on the Western Front.

I know the first 33 supplied had 150hp engines and a later batch was supplied (beginning Sept 1917) also had 150 hp engines. However the books I have also say that 180 hp engines where supplied, but frustratingly gives no detail on numbers or dates. (Im at work so dont have the boks to hand).

Any information I do get I will post here as people may well be interested.

yossarian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yossarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 21:33
Gents,

Sorry, I have been out of circulation for a while, 'amazing response to my queries, thanks folks.

Flashy, I will try and dig out a few more Spad graphics from the collection and post them here. It won't happen in a super hurry as Piers is pretty busy as the summer closes and I am south of the equator in a while.

Still looking for definitive Geographic positions on Bruay, Treizennes, Auchel, Bruay, Bryas, Aniche and Orcq.

We are planning to tour these airfields or those that still have a presence during Spring next year, we are calling it our 'Spring Offensive'. The plan is to take an unmanned aircraft and two paramotors and fly, photograph, eat and imbibe the odd glass in as many estaminets that we can identify as proximate to Arthur's watering holes. It should be quite a trip.

Edited by yossarian - 26 Sep 2011 at 21:34
Hillsboro59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillsboro59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 05:28
I have pictures of Swede Ralston's Spad at the 1959 Hillsboro Airshow if anyone is interested and can tell me how to post them to the forum.  The airplane is now in the San Diego Aerospace Museum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:02
Is this one of the Mann Egerton built SPAD VIIs that went to the US ?
yossarian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yossarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 11:23
Originally posted by Hillsboro59 Hillsboro59 wrote:

I have pictures of Swede Ralston's Spad at the 1959 Hillsboro Airshow if anyone is interested and can tell me how to post them to the forum.  The airplane is now in the San Diego Aerospace Museum.

Hi Hillsborou59,

When creating a post you use this editor and if you press this (red arrow) button you are offered two options; you can either upload your graphics file (the picture) or insert the location (called a 'url') so that the forum software can find and display your graphics. Do that and we can access/see your images/graphics/photos.

Good luck.

Edited by yossarian - 27 Jul 2012 at 11:25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 12:11
I note that there is a CD book about this aircraft, with an English/German text and, seemingly only available to those who live in the USA (via ebay) though the dispatch address is in Germany. The promo website allows you to downlaod a 'taster' but the link to purchase doesn't work....
John McKenzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John McKenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 14:29
That will be the CD book by  Achim  Engels ...FTS publications .

There are several other different publications , some more & others less technical .

Plenty of photos of this  Spad 7  restoration ...( by Jim Appleby if I remember ) with accompanying text in both English & German .

JM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic