The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spad identification help request

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Hillsboro59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillsboro59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 16:12
My understanding is that this Spad was purchased by Swede Ralston from Benson Polytechnic in Portland, Oregon.  I used to work for Swede during the late 70's and again in the late 80's.  I am currently writing a book on the history of the airport with his daughter.  These pictures were taken at the 1959 airshow.  They also used to put the airplane on a trailer to use it in parades in town and possibly other airshows nearby.

yossarian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yossarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 16:16
Great stuff Hillsboro59, nice pics.

It may be camera angle but the de-rigging/re-rigging hasn't done much for the airframe. A little anhedral there by the look of it.
Hillsboro59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillsboro59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 16:32
We know so little so far about the airplane.  As I learn more though I'll post it here.  This picture from 1955.

Bernoullis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernoullis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 16:28
Folks, it has been some considerable length of time since by colleague and friend Norman (yossarian) opened this thread, and nearly as long since anything was posted.  I joined the small group researching Maj Arthur Keen MC long after this thread was begun, so was unaware of it until quite recently.  LOL

I currently hold many of Keen's photos, including a handful of Spads.  To revitalise a bit of interest in this thread, I had hoped to upload a scan I have just done of one of those Spad photos, but the forum is not being co-operative today -  I keep getting a pop-up that says 'Server Error in Forum Application'.  I have tried to do the upload in Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer and all have failed.  Unhappy

I will be sending a message to the forum admin, with details of the problem, as soon as I have written this.

In the meantime, I offer up these details - the scan, taken from a tiny photograph (barely the size of a matchbox, does clearly show a serial number, B1534, on what appears to be a Spad VII,  The photo is a good profile of the port side of the aircraft and the serial on the fin is very clear (dark lettering on a paler fin).  Of interest is that fact that the colours of the port roundel, particularly the white, appear to have been toned down - they are certainly much less distinct than the standard RFC stripes on the rudder.  I sincerely hope I can get the pic uploaded here before long!

In the meantime, can anyone now confirm anything about this particular aircraft?  I see from Nick Forder's extensive lists of Spads, earlier in this thread, that B1534's history may not be certain.  I note that the serials in the list around B1534 come from both 19 and 23 Sqns e.g.:
B1525, B1527, B1533 are all shown as 23 Sqn
B1536, B1535, B1560 are all shown as 19 Sqn
I must admit, that I am leaning for 23 Sqn as they were at Bruay between 29 May and 13 June 1917, which is nicely encompassed by Keen's time with 40 Sqn at the same airfield, and it seems to be a time when he was fairly active with his camera.

Flashman, you posted earlier "Are you or have you published these photos anywhere recently?"  No, other than the couple of of Spad photos already posted, one on this thread, another on Norman's blog, these photos have not been published yet.  We hope to draw together all the material we have for Arthur (photos, letters, documents etc) and combine them with external research (TNA, IWM, RAF Museum etc) to tell his story, in a book.  Lots of work to do!

Here is hoping I can have the pic up here for you, soon! Wink
Bernoullis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernoullis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 21:03
Sorry folks, still cannot post the Spad pics here - the forum keeps throwing up an error popup.  Webmaster informed a couple of days ago - here's hoping!

Unhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic