The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Le Cateau airfield Aug 1914

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
David Seymour View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Seymour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Le Cateau airfield Aug 1914
    Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 20:12

I have been trying to find the exact location of the field used by the RFC in the vicinity of Le Cateau in August 1914.  Does anyone know of any details for this field?  (I have consulted Raleigh and Baring).

Many thanks for any help you can give.

David
Errol Martyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Errol Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:00
David,

According to Jeff Jefford's 'RAF Squadrons' map 10 on p216 of his 2nd edition, Le Cateau is about 40 nautical miles SW of Charleroi.

Errol
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Seymour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:30
Errol,
Many thanks.  It is within the area of the commune that my interest lies - I just wondered if anyone had any particular knowledge of the whereabouts of the actual field used.
David
Mike Farrelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Farrelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 15:43
David
In his book Airfields and Airmen Cambrai, Mike O'Connor describes the spot of the 1914 aerodrome as being just outside the town and a sketch map puts it on the north side of the Le Cateau to Landrecies road. Take the D959 from Pommereuil towards Le Cateau. Stop at the crest of the hill after the industrial estate on the left with large green and brown buildings. The probable site of the aerodrome is on the right before the road drops down onto the N43.( page49.)
ISBN no. is 0850529581.

Mike

Edited by Mike Farrelly - 30 Jan 2011 at 15:49
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Seymour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 17:18
Mike,
Very many thanks for that reference. 
Regards,
David
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic