The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Type 38 - dual controls?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dfuller52 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfuller52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short Type 38 - dual controls?
    Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 21:26
I have heard differing opinions on whether this aircraft was equipped with dual controls. My subject was a student pilot, sitting in the rear behind his instructor. Can anyone confirm if they were equipped with dual controls?

The aircraft in question was being used at the RNAS school at Eastbourne in January 1916.
WrightBrother View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrightBrother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 10:53
David,  In the book Eastbourne Aviation Company, page 86, there is mention of the Short S38, and a detail of Sub-Lt Sandwell doing dual with his instructor in this machine, followed by his solo flight in it. I think this answers your question!

Peter Wright.
dfuller52 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfuller52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 13:48
Thanks Peter. That's what I thought too but someone suggested the machine wasn't equipped that way. I can't see the point of taking a student pilot up in one otherwise, so I will take it as a yes, as you say.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic