The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help regarding Royal Flying Corps and Hursley Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help regarding Royal Flying Corps and Hursley Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DaveKey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help regarding Royal Flying Corps and Hursley Park
    Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 23:18
Hi,

My name is David Key and I am working on a project to update 'Merdone: The History of Hursley Park'. A major part of this update will be The Great War and in particular the involvement of the Royal Flying Corps, and ultimately RAF, with the estate.

I am aware of the move of the Wireless and Operators School, later renamed the Artillery and Infantry Co-operation School, and no.2 Cadet Wing of the RFC between 1917 and 1918. However, this is still a very skeleton history with few pictures or original accounts. So I was hoping that members of the forum might be able to assist me with my research.

In particular I am looking for the following sort of information ...
  • details of what the A&ICS &/or Cadet Wings would have done in their 2 week stay. For example do any examples of the lecture materials survive?
  • The names any personal accounts of those who attended, or taught there, e.g. letters, photographs, flight log books etc.
... but anything and everything about the RFC at Hursley (including  records from just prior to the establishment of the base at Hursley, or as the transfer to Worthy Down occurred) would be very much appreciated.

I am also aware that The Cross & Cockade Journal has several references to Hursley. I have a copy of the article on No.35 Squadron in Vol.29 No.4 as it drew on the earlier edition of "Merdone" but any advice on which articles are likely to be of use would be appreciated (this research is entirely voluntary and as such I'm having to fund all of the costs so unfortunately I'm having to pick and choose what I can afford to get copies of).

My thanks for your  indulgence of my request and in appreciation of whatever help you feel able to give.

Yours sincerely
Dave Key
Errol Martyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Errol Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 00:16

Dave,

The following might be of assistance.

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume One: Fates 1915-1942)':

Sun 12 May 1918  

England

Training?

Artillery and Infantry Co-operation School, RAF (Hursley Park, Hampshire - Training Division)

Royal Aircraft Factory RE8 C2473 - crashed and caught fire at about 1500 after stalling 400 yards from the Worthy Down airfield boundary, 3 miles north of Winchester. The pilot was buried at Hursley, 4 miles SW of Winchester, at 1430 on the 15th.

Pilot:                Lt Leslie GEORGE, Australian Flying Corps - Age 25.

Airmen Died in the Great War 1914-1918 indicates that George died in the same crash as 2nd Lt J S W Lord, also of the AFC and serving at the same School. However, court of inquiry evidence states that George took off with ballast in the observer’s seat, confirming that he was flying solo. Other records indicate that there were two separate, although similar, fatal accidents that day, both on or near the aerodrome. Lord is also buried at Hursley.

And Vol Three (Biographies & Appendices):

GEORGE, Lieutenant Leslie.*

(no No.) (prev 3001 in AIF & as airman); b Chch c.Nov 92; to Australia; ed?; photographer - [on own account? at Sydney?]. Australian Army/AIF Manly NSW (22nd Reinfs, 7th Regt ALH) as trooper 15 Mar 16, emb Katuna for Egypt 23 Nov 16, arr Suez 2 Jan 17, t/frd to Australian Flying Corps & 3 Sqn as Air Mechanic 10 Jan 17**, emb with Sqn for UK 13 Jan 17, arr 30 Jan 17, att RFC [redesignated RAF 1.4.18] & 31 (Australian) Res Sqn, 49 Res Sqn 24 Mar 17, 29 (Australian) Trg Sqn as Pilot u/t 11 Aug 17, 34 Trg Sqn 23 Sep 17, Pilot Badge & Comm 11 Nov 17, 66 Trg Sqn 19 Feb 18, Artillery & Infantry Co-operation School 18 Apr 18, kaa 12 May 18 (RE8). Hursley Cemetery, Hants., England. Son of Eden & Ada George, of Stanford Hotel, San Francisco, USA. Note: * birth reg as Leslie Eden George. ** 3 Sqn AFC wrongly redesignated by British as 69 Sqn RFC from 28 Dec 17.

George's service record has been digitised by the National Arcives of Australia and may be viewed online at:

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp?B=4028709

Errol

NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 08:55
Dave
Cadets/trainees would have been required to make notes on the lectures/ courses, so I would try the RAF Museum (Hendon) and the Liddle Archive (Leeds University) to see if they have any relevant note books in their archival collections.

The Royal Signals Museum (being at Blandford Forum, and thus perhaps easier for you to get to than Hendon or Leeds ?) might be worth contacting also, as will the Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop.
Nick
DaveKey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 12:08
Hi Errol,

Many thanks for that. I have been going through those very records myself this week ... and you have just answered one of the questions that I hadn't quite got to the bottom of ... one crash or two?

The fact that the crash(es) was (were) at Worthy Down whilst they were based at Hursley is I feel important as it tends towards the view that little, if any flying, was done at Hursley itself. Although these crashes are right on the cusp of the move of the whole operation to Worthy Down so that isn't particularly surprising. What I'd be interested in is whether there was anything earlier. I have evidence of a direct transfer from Brooklands to Worthy Down on Oct 3rd ... but I'd like more detail, hence the interest in flight log books and letters etc.

Again, my thanks it has definitely cleared up one of my questions.

Cheers
Dave
DaveKey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 12:11
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a general request for information at Hendon at this very moment and Worthy Down have been very helpful in passing on what they have. But you've also given me a couple of other avenues to explore, which is great so thank you for those. I'm off to hassle them too now Big smile

Cheers
Dave
Dudley George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dudley George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 13:24
Hi Dave,

I'm new to this website and came accross it via Google.  My Grandfather was a pilot in the RFC and I have two photographs, presumably of his "Flight"  The photographs are identical in the form of a Post Card.  Written on the back of one is ""B" Squadron R.F.C. Hursley Park Winchester 1917".  On the other "Good old 7th Flight "Smartest of all" R.F.C. Hursley Park June 27th 1917."  My Grandfathers name was William (Billie) Tadgell.  Don't know whether this is what you are looking for or indeed whther you know of any references to Bill Tadgell?

Cheers

Dudley George
WrightBrother View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrightBrother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 14:44
Dudley,  Hursley Park was an RFC Primary Training location, but your Grandfather (?) was possibly an Instructor, or was under training? .
Dudley George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dudley George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 20:21
Thank you for that.  Having dug out his British Empire Aviator's Certificate (Flying Licence) I can see that it is dated Dec 8. 1917.  The serial No is 6770.  This obviously means that as you suggest he was under training at Hursley Park.  Backing this up is his graduation certificate No. 9163 dated the same day at which point it says he was a 2nd Lt. What I'd really like to know is what happened to him after that.  He survived both WW1 and WW2.

Cheers

Dudley
DaveKey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 22:27
Hi Dudley,

"Don't know whether this is what you are looking for ...."  err ... YES!!

Seriously, It would be fantastic! Star

If the photographs are dated June 1917 I suspect at that point he was in no.2 Cadet Wing RFC as they moved to Hursley Park (probably) in May 1917 until October (possibly later). From October 1917 until May 1918 the Wireless & Observers School, soon after renamed Artillery & Infantry Co-operation School, was in the Park before moving to Worthy Down (although Worthy Down had been operating as the actual aerodrome for flying from October).

As far as I am aware, during their time as Cadets the work was mainly books, drill, sports and exams before being sent to Oxford for "technical" training and then the "proper" flying schools like Yatesbury ... and then occasionally they returned to Hursley for their final, advanced, Observer's training before being posted (I'm sure the more knowledgeable members of the forum will correct me if this is seriously wrong, it's all fairly new to me still).

So, I presume his Aviator's Certificate was taken at a different location? It would be very interesting if it was Hursley!

I haven't noticed any references to William Tadgell, but then I haven't looked. I do have a few letters & diaries so I'll take a look and see if anything crops up.

However, If you would be prepared to send me copies of the photos, and any associated documentation you have, I'd be extremely grateful.

One infuriating thing about the photos I do have is that they are almost exclusively of the Hospital area in the lower fields. So some more on the RFC would be fantastic. However, each pieve of evidence someone has kindly donated has usually lead to a new avenue of information. So, please send me what you can!!

Hursley was a place you either loved or hated, generally depending on whether the sun was shining or whether it was raining! . Chances are if he was there in June then hopefully he loved it!

Cheers
Dave   
Errol Martyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Errol Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 22:46
Dudley,

You can purchase online from The National Archives at Kew, London, a copy of William Christopher Tadgell's RAF officers service record. See here at:

Errol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic