The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albatros D.I – D.Va: Legendary fighter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndyK View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albatros D.I – D.Va: Legendary fighter
    Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 10:25

Albatros D.I – D.Va: Legendary fighterAlbatros D.I – D.Va: Legendary fighter

Legends of Aviation Series No.5

Tomasz J. Kowalski

Kagero; distributed by CasemateUK.

80 pp, 275x205mm, softback.

ISBN 978-83-61220-73-2. £20.99

Within its 80 pages are 102 well captioned photographs, three pages of drawings, and eight of excellent colour artwork by Janusz Światłoń depicting both German and Oefag built machines. The monograph opens with the design of the ‘Graceful Fighter’ by Robert Thellen and his team of engineers during  Summer of 1916 and continues with chapters on Naval Aviation, the evolution through the D.II, D.III. D.V into the faster and stronger D.Va. Also included are chapters on the use of the Albatros by Austro-Hungarian and Polish air forces and the success of the Albatros fighters in combat. There are numerous interesting tables and appendices amongst them comparative numbers of fighter aircraft manufactured between 1916 and 1918 (Albatros total was 3730 aircraft), Albatros Killers (Collishaw claimed 29 Albatros from his total of 60), number of Albatros at the front (by April 30th 1918 63% of all German fighters at the front were Albatros). The monograph concludes with chapters on colours and markings, including an index, examples of 28 Albatros Jagdstaffel markings and quite a comprehensive bibliography. Despite the fact that it is printed on soft, non-glossy paper the sheer number of photographs and colour artwork means that it is highly recommended.       RMT

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic