The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identity of English Pilot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
David J Barnes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David J Barnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identity of English Pilot
    Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 22:35
Hi
 Pilot, Palestine, July 1918
Can anyone offer an identity of the allied pilot captured on Palestine in June 1918.

It is from a photo of TurkishFA 14 and FA 305 in Aman. The inscription reads [translated]: Our prisoner, an English flyer shot down, with our officers in the officers' mess. Aman, July 1918".

The Pilot's face is damage, presumably from impact of a forced landing

Cheers

David

Edited by AndyK - 04 May 2009 at 15:50
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 06:44
David,

Did you post an attchment with this?

HuckJ
David J Barnes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David J Barnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 07:27
I DID dowmload Picture .. goodness knows wher it is.. if you give me your emaol address I can sent you a copy

or perhaps Andy can advise wher I went wrong !

Cheers

David
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 18:44
David,

You can mail through www.66squadron.co.uk

HuckJ
AndyK View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 15:51
Hi David
Attachment sorted! Now lets see who can identify hom :-)
Cheers!
AndyK
Snafu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 12:58
Hi David

Bit late but I ended up here as a result of some surfing. The pilot is Lieutenant Laurence Smith of 1 Squadron Australian Flying Corps. He was shot down in a Bristol Fighter on 27th June 1918 near Qatrana in Jordan (then part of the Ottoman Empire).

His pilot, Lieutenant Gordon Oxenham was killed and probably buried near the airfield at Qatrana. I have been in touch with his great nephew (Alan Oxenham)  who is trying to trace Oxenham's grave which is probably near the Hejaz Railway Station at Qatrana to this day. There has been a discussion on this on the Great war Forum here: with 2 threads:

Alan is trying to trace a photograph that Smith says the Germans took of Oxenham's grave which may help to locate it in relation to the railway station which is still there. Alan has a copy of the same photo of Smith as you, another photo taken on the same occasion and a picture of Oxenham/Smith's crashed Bristol taken on the ground by the Germans. There is a picture of the crashed Bristol taken from the air by an Australian plane send to check the crash site later in the day. 

Alan I'm sure would be interested to know if you have any other photos of the same incident that might show Gordon Oxenham's grave.

All the best
Dominic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic