The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wing Captain Elder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tartle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tartle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 21:31
 New research has revealed the story of Maurice Egerton being in Kenya is rubbish. His passport in the collection at Tatton has now been looked at carefully (Folded inside his blue passport book, which was mot introduced until 1920; a folded piece of paper stapled into a book form came in in 1915; this is a single sheet form predating both of those) shows he went into the Tian Shan mountains of China in June 1914 and did not emerge till October so he was not likely to have known about the war 'til then... he then came home via Finland and Newcastle. He went to USA in April 1914 to look after the H-series and Canada aircraft at Buffalo and in Canada, a duty he performed til the wars end. I had finished a book on ME's aviation decade when we discovered this so one chapter is being re-written!
Captain Leslie Elder was according to Canadian sources the Inspecting captain of Aicraft Building at Admiralty Air Department who signed a contract March 26 1915 for JN-3 Jennies to be produced in Canada and to set up Curtiss pilot training base there as well. He then handed over to ME the following month as an aircraft and Aero engine technically savvy person was needed to oversee manufacture at Buffalo and Toronto.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic