The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paddy's SE.5a Log

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paddy's SE.5a Log
    Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 19:08

First impressions on opening the kit box of the Wingnut Wings SE.5a 'Hisso’

I immediately started looking down through the layers of packages of sprues until I found the four fuselage halves. I wanted to see how well the wrinkled fuselage was presented. Let me quickly say I was not disappointed. This is the fuselage I’ll be using in my build and my mind is running at flank speed already. Don’t know if I’ll have the talent to do what I picture but I plan on giving it a go.

Taking a quick look at some of the mold work it looks absolutely exquisite to me. Now I didn’t have the Optivisor on but to me Wingnut Wings has given us first rate parts to assemble our kites.

Moving onto the instruction manual, I refuse to call it a booklet, I almost wanted to put on archival gloves before starting to look but I did find myself washing my hands good with soap and water. Wink Did I say the parts were exquisite? Well, the instruction manual is also. One will be tempted to preserve the original instruction manual and print off the pdf version that Wingnut Wings has so generously made available to us on their website. I did download a copy shortly before the order was consummated. 

Cheers,

Paddy    

Edited by Paddy - 27 Apr 2009 at 19:15
Paddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 19:31

Log entry #2

Have started assembly following WW’s sequence as shown in the instruction manual.

If you are planning to install the control cables as shown on page 5 of the instruction manual and you want to keep the airframe chap in a good mood please note the following. The control cables pass through the seat assembly, lower bulkhead, in part A32. Bore these six passages before gluing floor plate part A40 to part A32 and your afternoon will go much smoother……… doh! Recovery went OK but slowed my progress.

Other than that it’s good to be underway. Thumbs Up

By the way, that’s not a page from the original instruction manual under the seat assembly. That’s a hard copy of page 3 from the pdf. I like to have a markup sheet as I work and no way would I mark up that beautiful book Wingnut Wings includes.

Paddy Smile 

Edited by Paddy - 27 Apr 2009 at 19:32
bobs_buckles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobs_buckles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 20:04
Paddy,
 Thanks for kicking off the first Work in progress on C&C.
I will be joining you soon with the LVG Thumbs Up
Cheers,
Von Buckle

Paddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 21:52
Originally posted by bobs_buckles bobs_buckles wrote:

Paddy,
 Thanks for kicking off the first Work in progress on C&C.
I will be joining you soon with the LVG Thumbs Up
Cheers,
Von Buckle

My pleasure Robert.

I’m really going to enjoy following your LVG project.

Cheers,

Paddy Smile

Edited by Paddy - 27 Apr 2009 at 21:58
Paddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 19:14

Log Entry #3

I’ve decided to do the SE.5a in the configuration and markings of 2nd Lt A.P.C. Wigan’s kite C1057’C, RAF built, 24 Sqn, March 1918 as depicted in the Wingnut Wings kit.

I would like to learn more about 2nd Lt A.P.C. Wigan and I should think Cross & Cockade is definitely the place to start albeit best if I posted a query about him in the general forum for starters?

Paddy Smile

Edited by Paddy - 30 Apr 2009 at 00:44
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic