The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10th. Squadron RFC Nov. 1917

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
c.streat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c.streat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10th. Squadron RFC Nov. 1917
    Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 12:55
Hello. I am researching the movements of 10th squadron, RFC, prior to the death of my Uncle, Ralph Streat, Airman 1st class, on 18th Nov, 1917. I see from a previous post that the squadron had just moved to Abeele. I have a number of his letters and post cards from the front, but no information as to his job or manner of death. He is buried at Nine Elms Cemetery, Poperinge, Belgium, which I hope to visit soon, but would like to know as much background information as possible before I go. Many thanks for taking the time to read this.
Dogzbody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogzbody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 20:47
Hello,
           Airmen Died entry for AMI Ralph Graham Streat 9507 10Sqn, Native of Finchly Middx. age 19 DOW 30.11. 1917  Buried at Nine Elms Poperinghe , Belgium.
 Please excuse the haste, please note the date   Dogzbody
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 10:03
John
I note that Henshaw has no entry for Streat (often the case that DOWs get 'lost' in the system), which does make him wonder if he was groundcrew caught in a bombing raid, or similar.

I don't have Hobson to hand - does the corresponding date entry note any aircraft involvement or related incident ?

Nick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 10:06
Name: STREAT, RALPH GRAHAM
Initials: R G
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps
Unit Text: 10th Sqdn.
Date of Death: 30/11/1917
Service No: 9507
Additional information: Son of Ernest Whitfield Streat and Edith Marian Streat, of 5, Upper Cavendish Avenue, Church End, Finchley.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. B. 14.
Cemetery: NINE ELMS BRITISH CEMETERY
c.streat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c.streat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 19:05
Thank you Dogzbody and Nick for your replies.
 Nine Elms cemetery is only 3 or 4 miles from Abeele so I was really wondering on the manner of his death, as ground crew. I have found out from The Great War Forum that there are 3 sets of records available for this month from National Archives for 10th Squadron, so I will have a go at those. Many thanks again; I would be happy to share information in his letters and RFC cards, although obviously he was not permitted to write much "info"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 09:45
Hobson (Airmen Died) notes :

AMI R.G Streat , 10 Sqn, DOW. WF

No pilot or A/C mentioned, I have to wait until Monday for a  check on Streat among the Casualty Cards at the RAF Archives, if  they turn up trumps I will send for you to post on the Forum for the family concerned.

John

Dogzbody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogzbody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 20:19
Nick,
         As you can see I have been able to login again, thanks for the posting at 09.45.
Has anyone else had trouble with being unable to login or is the Forum only allergic to Dogzbody?
See you at the AGM Saturday.   John  
Dogzbody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogzbody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 19:43
Nick,
         The Casualty Card in RAF Museum Archives for AM R. G Streat just confirmed what we already knew that he died of wounds 30/11/1917.
Confirmation of wounds rule out an accident, we need some kind member to check  Air1 Reference for No.10 Sqn at the National Archives. They are 11, 45, 92-3, 116, 166, 184, 688, 1218-19, 1279, 1361-73, 1695-98, 2148.

Good turn out at the AGM well done everybody........Dogzbody  

c.streat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c.streat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 20:29
Dear Dogz,
Thank you for your continued help; after much newbie faffing I managed to trace the ref at Kew for casulties 10th sq Nov 1917, and am awaiting an estimate for copies. Is it just me, or are the methods for tracing files at PRO hard to understand ? It`s probably practice, but I would be happy to share any other info gleaned when it arrives. Ta
Dogzbody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogzbody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 19:49
Hello K,
              Yes do please keep us informed.
Talking with Nick Saturday, he suggested your Uncle may have been an air raid casualty, that would include the fall out from anti-aircraft fire, it did a lot of damage in my home town Ilford in both wars.
As an alternative he may have been at the Front salvaging a crashed machine, or on detachment with a wireless operator to a Battery that No.10 were carrying out Art-Obs for.
                                               Good luck,     Dogzbody.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic