The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Robert Arthur King

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robert Arthur King
    Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 11:08
I've been looking at the carreer of Robert Arthur King, from Neston, who owned a Farman that was based at Freshfield (Formby), Lancashire, from November 1910. In 1913 he went to work for 'the Admiralty Flying School' (Eastchurch ?), presumably as a civilian instructor. Can anyone add any details about his time working with the RFC(Nval Wing) ?
Thanks
Nick
drailton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drailton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 11:44
Nick,

You may already have this:

Robert Arthur King was born 9th August 1883 at Blundellsands. His RAeC cert was number 482 which he took at Freshfield on 16th May 1913. At that time he gave his address as Central Flying School, Upavon where he was an RNR Sub. Lt.
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 11:51
David
Thanks for this. The RNVR commission is a useful piece of information to track and puts a new complexion on the newpaper report.

Freshfield (Formby Point) is looking towards the centenary of its first flight (14 May 1910), and I am wading through local papers and back issues of Flight to try to put together some sort of coherent story for an aerodrome that appears to have fallen in to disuse in 1914 and is currently under water !

There is a rumour of RNAS activity there during WW1, though I rather think that this is confusion with Hesketh Park (Southport).
Nick

drailton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drailton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 13:03
I am back to the subject of Robert Arthur King. The Navy List of 1913 includes:'Sub Lieutenants appointed to Royal Flying Corps including: Robert Arthur King (proby), (undergoing flying course), Date of Seniority: 17.05.1913'. After that I find no trace of him. He is not included in the RFC/RAF Lists for 1914 to 1918 and I cannot find a reference to him in the London Gazette. I know about his pre-WWI flying. Can anyone tell me anything about him during or after WWI?
David
drailton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drailton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 13:02
I may have already found the answer to my question. This is from â€˜The Birth of the Royal Air Force’ by Ian Philpott: On 15th July 1913 Captain G M Paine, Commandant of the Central Flying School stated that three pilots under instruction, including Sub-Lieutenant R A King RNR, “should be withdrawn from the flying course , doubting that they would ever become 1st class pilots.” He granted the 3 pilots leave pending a decision and said that they “may be of use in time of war as 2nd reserve pilots.”  It may be that this was the end of King’s flying career as I can find no further reference to him in the records.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic