The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

23 Sqn Spad XIIIs colour scheme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
David Seymour View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Seymour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 23 Sqn Spad XIIIs colour scheme
    Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 18:32
Please could someone advise on the colour scheme of 23 Sqn's Spad XIIIs?  Did they acquire their camouflage scheme in the field?  If so, did they previously have a PC10 scheme?
Many thanks for any help you can give,
David
MikeMeech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMeech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 09:41
David

The short answer is that the colour scheme on 23 Sqns Spad XIIIs was a standard French scheme put on in the factory.  The RFC only had a relatively few aircraft of this type all from this source, so would not have been in a PC10 scheme at anytime.  We should remember that many of the Spad VIIs used were built in Britain so would have come out in standard British colours.  However, that being said in 'Windsock Datafile 32, Spad 13.C1, by Jack Bruce' on page 8, is a photo of Spad XIII 'B9445' (ex-French S.505), sent for trials with the RFC.  This appears to be in a PC10 scheme, presumably applied in Britain, although I do not think there is any evidence of this aircraft ever serving with 23 Sqn.
I hope this is of help.

Mike Meech
David Seymour View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Seymour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 16:36
Mike,
Many thanks for your detailed reply.  All very helpful.
Regards,
David
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 08:02
I think that I am right in saying that no British-built SPAD VIIs served with either 19 or 23 Squadrons.

The only operational service will have been with 30 Squadron in Mespot.

The Mann Egerton built SPAD VIIs were known to be nose heavy (the consequence of 'beefed up' engine bearers - I think they were clad in aluminium), and most ended as trainers. A number were sent to the US, two of the surviving SPAD VIIs coming from this source.

I have photos of VIIs being used as instructional airframes in the UK, one, at least, being at Wyton.
Nick 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic