The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brooklands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wisbang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisbang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brooklands
    Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 10:13
Hi, Forumites:
I'm a "Volunteer" at the Brooklands Museum, working in the Library, and am detailing the WW1 history of Brooklands. Can anyone suggest a good reference book which contains information on the Units  based on the airfield during that period, or even better, post that information on the Board.

Many thanks.

Andy Wisbang
MikeMeech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMeech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 17:52
Hi Andy
There are various sources, eg; 'Action Stations 8: Military Airfields of Greater London' - Bruce Barrymore Halpenny, PSL.  'RAF Flying Training and Support Units' - Sturtivant, Hamlin and Halley, Air-Britain.  'RAF Squadrons' - C.G. Jefford, Airlife. and 'Flying Units of the RAF' - Alan Lake, Airlife.  I expect there are others.
Briefly 8, 9 and 10 Squadrons all passed through Brooklands for various short periods of time in 1915 (sources differ in detail).  No. 2 Training (Ex Reserve) Squadron was based there from 12.11.14 to 31.1.17, as did elements of No. 23 Training (Ex Reserve) Sqn in 1916, before being a full unit at ABOUKIR by 24.8.16.  From Dec. 1916 the Wireless Experimental Flight was based there for the instruction of observers and wireless officers, later re-named the Wireless School and on 24 Oct 16 the Wireless and Observers School.  The Wirless Testing Park was also there for a brief period in October 1916 before moving to Joyce Green.  No. 10 Aircraft Acceptance Park was formed on 1.8.17 to handle locally produced SE. 5a and Snipe.  This was re-named No. 10 (Brooklands) AAP on 12.10.17 and finally closed in April 1920.  All these units would have involved lots of different types of aircraft.
I hope this brief note is of use.

Mike
wisbang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisbang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 07:32
Hi, Mike:
Very many thanks for that, especially the run-down on the Units based at Brooklands. I've been ploughing through the "on-line" version of "Flight" and identified several fatal crashes which occured during WW1. If anyone is interested, and to save people tha job of doing it themselves, I'd be happy to post them on the Board...

Ttfn

Andy Wisbang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic