The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charles Henry ffrench Nobbs 66 Sqn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charles Henry ffrench Nobbs 66 Sqn
    Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 17:21

I am researching the above who flew for a short time with 66 Sqn. He originally joined the 6 Light Horse Regt., and I am trying to tie up where they departed from in Australia.  Can anyone confirm that the departed from Finger Wharf, Woolloomooloo, Sidney on 21 December 1914 on HMAT Suevic.

huckj

www.66squadron.co.uk

Errol Martyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Errol Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 21:42
John,

I presume you are aware of his digitized service record online at the National Archives of Australia website at:

Runs to 52 pages, but I've not the time at present to check them all to see if any answer your query.

Errol
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 22:05
Hi Errol,

Yes I am aware and I have the record, it does say he sailed on the Suevic, but I would like to confirm the precise details of the departure.

huckj

Errol Martyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Errol Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 00:05
John,

Six years later, in 1914, the First World War erupted. Because of their frozen meat capacity, the Suevic and her four consorts were kept in commercial service, carrying troops in the same time. In March 1915, the Suevic made a single trooping voyage to Mudros in the Mediterranean, as part of the Dardanelles campaign. For the duration of the war, the Suevic served the British Empire under the Liner Requisition Scheme until 1919. When she was returned to White Star.

Not sure if this helps!

Errol
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 08:57
Erroll

Thanks I will bear it in mind.

huckj
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic