The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gen von Arnim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dogzbody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogzbody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gen von Arnim
    Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 20:33

Evening all,

Until recently reading First Blitz I had been unaware that General von Arnim had been killed accompanying the 25 May 1917 Gotha daylight air raid on England.
After Kvtkpt Peter Strasser, the General must be the highest ranking German officer killed in air raids on England during the Great War.
I would appreciate more information please.        TTFN      Dogzbody 
Adrian Roberts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 00:53
I can't find anything about this General von Arnim, though there are at least two others on Wikipedia including the well-know Sixst von Arnim.

But in terms of ranks, he must have outranked Strasser. A KorvettenKapitan is only about equivalent to a Commander in the Royal Navy. The Germans in WW1 did not necessarily promote officers to reflect the responsiblities that they were given, e.g. MvR was only ever a Captain (Rittmeister), even though his responsibilites as JG1 commander would have made him a least a Lt -Col in the RFC/RAF. Strasser would have been at least a Commodore if he had been in the RN.
Dogzbody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogzbody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 20:12
Evening Adrian,
                          General von Arnim does not appear in the index of The Sky on Fire or other books dealing with the German Army Air Service bombing raids I have to hand.
He does in the index of First Blitz of course, but is not in the copious notes? I find that strange, how many other German Generals were killed in action during WWI.
My putting him below Peter Strasser as the highest ranking German officer to be killed in an air raid on England was tongue in cheek, I have yet to be convinced the General existed, come on Lads convince this doubting Dogzbody.  
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 15:08
John
According to War in the Air, General Sixt von Arnim commanded the German 4th Army during the Battle of Messines in 197. Is it the same man ?
Nick
WrightBrother View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrightBrother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 11:34
Nick et al,  Wasn't the Garrison Commander at Arnhem a von Arnim (WW2)?  Any relation, possibly a son?
Dogzbody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogzbody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 20:41
Evening all,
                  Thanks Nick & Peter for your input on Gen von Armin who went west with the crew of a Gotha returning from bombing Folkestone on 25th May 1917 as recorded in the First Blitz.
Since my last posting I found reference to Armin in the chronological section of Casualties of the German Air Service along with the crew of KG3 who were also drowned.
Obltn Manfred Messerschmidt gen von Arnim   is this entry one man? I suspect it could well be.
Ltn.d.R Willy Neumann
Ltn.d.R Werner Scholz

In the A to Z listing in the same book our man is Obltn Manfred Armin von Messerschmidt born 12 February 1891 if this entry is the correct one, there was not a General on board during the raid and before you ask no the General was not in the A to Z listing.  If he never existed that would explain why I had never heard of him before reading First Blitz.      Thanks again Lads,           Dogzbody.

NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 07:54
Looks like Sixt von Arnim is a different man - possibly a relative, like Peter's Arnhem officer ?
Nick
Dogzbody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogzbody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 20:56
Hello Nick,
                   Dogzbody still has to be convinced that Gen. von Armin was on board that ill fated Gotha, as so far apart from p.104 of First Blitz we have so far been unable to find confirmation of this high ranking casualty of the first war in the air.    
The Daily Mail review of this interesting book states "Gripping and well researched" while the Daily Telegraph  writes of the author "his book puts more academic historians to shame"
When the Journal reviewed  First Blitz  in Vol.39 No.3 2008 it questioned "whether this volume sheds any new light on the subject"
Well so far it has for Dogzbody, before reading I was unaware of Gen von Armin and fortunately even reading as early as p.21 of "The celebrated German air ace Max Boelcke" I never let it put me off of reading on.
Since then on p.211 I came across this statement "Albert Ball was a social misfit with a talent for taking his enemies by surprise from below"   I did not know that either!  TTFN   Dogzbody
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic