The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trinket Box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ROBPUGH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROBPUGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trinket Box
    Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 18:35

No problem Ian.

Rob.
South Ayrshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Ayrshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 10:30
Hello Rob.
Thank you for the address. I will post you(later in the week) some images of the Trinket Box and another parallel request for one more W.W.1. medal holder,hope you do not think it too forward of me !.
Best Regards.
Ian.
ROBPUGH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROBPUGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 14:19
Hi Ian,

My email address is RMPUGH@TISCALI.CO.UK.

Rob.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Ayrshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 10:19
Hello Rob.
Thanks once again.My wife was delighted to receive the information, so now we may expand on this enquiry.Do you have an e mail address as I would like you to have a look at the Trinket box if you so wish.
Best Regards.
Ian
ROBPUGH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROBPUGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 09:49
Hi Ian,

The muster roll listed in service number ('Air Force No.') order every serviceman enlisted with the RAF at the time of its creation on 1 April 1918. It gives information about an individual's 'trade classification' (i.e. his job in the RAF) and rank; date and terms of enlistment; rate of pay.

Rob.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Ayrshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 16:01
Hello Rob.
Thank you most sincerely for the information,I presume that the details were from his "Pay Records". I will make an effort to obtain more details from Kew now that I have his service number confirmed. I will keep you informed of any developments.
Best Regards.
Ian.
ROBPUGH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROBPUGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 12:12

Hi Ian,

Your wife’s Grandfather’s service number was 98885. This is not a ‘Batch’ number whatever that is.

I assume your referring to the Medal Index Cards that can be viewed on the National Archives and Ancestry.co.uk web sites when you mention the medal records.

These Medal Index Cards are for the Army only. Although he was in the army when with the Royal Flying Corps, on becoming the Royal Air Force on 1 April 1918, he was transferred to the Air Force, thus he qualified for his medals with the Air Force.

The Royal Air Force 1 April 1918 Muster Roll states: -

Air Force No: 98885

Name: Andrew, D.

R.N.A.S. or R.F.C. Trade Classification: Carpenter.

Remustered to Air Force Trade Classification: Carpenter.

R.N.A.S. Rating or R.F.C. Rank or Appointment: Air Mechanic 1.

New Rank in Air Force: Air Mechanic 1.

Date of Joining: 1 June 1916.

Date of Last Promotion: 1 February 1918.

Normal Rate Air Force Pay: 4s 0d.

Terms of Enlistment: Duration of War.

His Service Record will be held at the National Archives in AIR79/895

Hope this helps,

Rob.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Ayrshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 11:58
Hello. I am a new member to this site and I have been trying to find information on my wife's Grandfather.I have been left with no options but to hire a reseacher at Kew, but before I go down that route I have a Question to pose.
Given the information to hand, the medal records for his number are not an enlisting number but are a "Batch" number as I have viewed about eight records of various personell with the same number as:98885. He was an Mechanic 1st. Class,David Andrew R.A.F. He was a master joiner to trade so I would suspect that he would be involved with the maintenace of air frames,postcards were sent from Paris in  1919,and this is all the information to hand.  My wife has a "Trinket box" made from a hollowed out propeller,and seared into the curved face of this is the following:  2798, with what appers to be,F.ABBENHAML(L),below.
Any suggestions as to what it may mean,as you can imagine it is not too easily read.Ahy help would be greatly appreciated.My e-mail is JIanjones@aol.com.
Thanking you all in anticipation.
Ian.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic