The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 squadron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul R Hare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 squadron
    Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 19:10
Does anyone know when 2 squadron officially moved its base at Montrose from Upper Dysart to Bloomfield??

Thanks

Paul
mickdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 13:52
My delving into aerodrome histories continues and I've recently been looking at a transcript of CAH Longcroft's diary, which throws some new light on the Montrose sites. Although the Broomfield site was taken up during 1913 and sheds were constructed, flying was still undertaken from Upper Dysart until at least April 1914, with machines also using St Andrew's Sands. The aerodrome at Broomfield was, even then, considered unsuitable for training purposes,  - insufficient area for trainees to practice 'straights' and an entry for 25 March was "Some bad holes on the present landing ground require filling in". I suspect that the Broomfield site was completed during the squadron's absence for the Concentration Camp.
Paul R Hare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 19:45
Thanks Mick. C.J Burke's diary doesn't make it clear on which site they were based when the squadron had an open day in January 1914.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic