The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cooper Bombs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooper Bombs
    Posted: 11 May 2016 at 15:41
Wondering what "sizes" these came in.

Just re-read Errol Martyn's 2009 post regarding 20lb-vs-25lb Coopers. There could be a similar question of charge-vs-weight for the 16/20 lb Cooper.

Also, and this is what I am most interested in, what about a 49 lb Cooper? This is probably the "50 lb" bomb used on the Tondern Raid in 1918, but all the original documents and published histories are vague about this.
Jon Guttman in his Osprey Sopwith Camel mentions a "49 lb Mark III" - details, photos especially, would be most welcome
WG Moore in Early Bird (p.125) even says they were "specially made Cooper 60 lb bombs." Must admit I discount this.

The Camel could be fitted with a bomb rack for four 25 lb Coopers. The 50 lb bombs must have required a different design...
Yet another question to be answered!
MikeMeech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMeech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 09:18
Hi

'Bombs Gone' by MacBean and Hogben, has details of most aerial bombs used by the British including a list of WW1 bombs on pages 286-287. There is no mention of a 49 lb. Cooper in this list. There is the 50 lb RL, introduced in 1917, made of heavy/cast iron, filling of 10 lb Amatol, length 28.25 inches, diameter 7 in.

There is also a 65 lb RL, introduced in 1915, made of light/mild steel, filling of 37 lb Amatol, length 29.75 in. and 9 in. in diameter.

I hope that is of use.

Mike
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 15:24
Curiouser and curiouser!

Could you send me a scan of the two pages?

email address follows in private message

Thanks

Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic