The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hand Held Aerial Cameras

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hand Held Aerial Cameras
    Posted: 05 May 2016 at 22:14
Over the years I have seen many excellent photos taken from the observers cockpit of RNAS Short floatplanes from 1915 on.

I have no idea what type of camera was used. It was obviously a hand held camera, so was probably not too cumbersome.

Anyone fill this gap in my knowledge?
whiskymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 06:57
Hi Ian,

Are you aware of a series of posts last year on the GWF referring to Sub Lt Cyril Norman Ellen RNAS who was stationed in the Aegean (Stavros/ Balkans)as a photographer. I'm sure somewhere in that series of posts there are details of the type of camera he used. Have a check and see what you think. In the meantime I'll check to see what I've got.

Peter.
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 14:10
Thanks Peter

Should have known another RNAS type would have the answer...
I'll check on the GWF post.

Cheers
Ian
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 14:19
Hi Peter,

Big post!

Two key things from a quick scan.
The 'album' images are probably from a folding Kodak - too good to be a Vest Pocket, so probably similar to the one in the photo on page 2.
The 10" Lens panorama (on page 3?) is the main clue. It was probably made with the aerial camera.

Getting closer.

Ian
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 20:46
Hmmm, a little further research suggests that the Type P7 Camera may have been the camera in question.
It had a 250mm (10") lens and could be fixed or hand held.
Looks like it used glass plates.

Any further input would be most welcome.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic