The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-effective Pool?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gilesforrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-effective Pool?
    Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 08:36

Hi,

My ancestor is transferred into "6 B/de Non-effective Pool" for 2 months - assume this is some sort of sick leave?

There isn't anything in his RAF records about the reason, but it only notes the date he is is "Fit for observer duties" just before he is transferred back into a squadron.

Can anyone shed any light on this especially the "6 B/de"?

Thanks,

Giles

NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 13:11
6th Brigade ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 06:48
Yes I thought it was 6th brigade...but couldn't work out how that related to the RAF (not the Army..).

I've found this:

Perhaps he was on training, or giving training during those 2 months rather than being on sick leave?

Edited by gilesforrest - 19 Apr 2016 at 06:48

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 08:41
Ah the 6th Brigade was Home Defence (apologies for my ignorance!):

He had been in 39 Squadron, and 189 Squadron "for duties as A.N.O." (not sure what that stands for -possibly something to do with training?) and also 153 Squadron (which I understand didn't become operational).

NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 08:46
189 Squadron was a night flying training unit
Bernoullis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernoullis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 21:20
Originally posted by gilesforrest gilesforrest wrote:

"for duties as A.N.O." (not sure what that stands for -possibly something to do with training?)

I don't know that the term actually exists, but if he was not a pilot, might it stand for Aerial (or Air) Navigation Officer?  Just thinking out loud ......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 21:35
Thanks - he had mostly been an observer and also a recording officer, will see what I can find out about a Navigation Officer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic