The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arthur James Major RFC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lancashire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancashire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arthur James Major RFC
    Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 12:57
Recently found this entry: James Arthur Major RFC Killed 1914-1918 War, tried a bit of web search no success can anyone throw some light on this individual, father Thomas Glen Arthur, grandson of James Arthur as in the Glasgow company of Arthur and Co.

I recall reading he was killed in France, not sure either of his "parent" regiment as the family varied with their choice , having revisited the source book, the index isn't helping much either! There is more detail on the company memorial i.e. design, unveiling, etc than that of the 116 employees killed!

I also had a quick look at the Royal aero Club certificates up to 1914, failed to spot his name, any information gratefully received, thanks in advance.
ps I have posted this on the great War Forum as well, however both forums are excellent, I am just going for a wider distribution!
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 17:36
CWGC: Died 6.6.1918, aged 29. Buried Dunkirk. 
Husband of Eleanor Theresa Arthur, of Villa Emilia, Cas Catate, Palma, Spain.
HQ 5 Group.

Admin Officer RAF, previously Ayrshire Yeomanry & RNVR.
Native of Ayrshire & Sunningdale, Berks.

KIA in enemy air raid on Coudekerque
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancashire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 18:48
Nick, thanks I have found out a little more too after another question!

Ayrshire Yeomanry makes sense too, the Commonwealth War Graves site indicates his wife at some point was in spain.

As he was HQ Staff, would I be correct to think that he may not have been a flying officer, I have not found any indication that he was a flyer (yet), by 1918 there must have been numerous land based tasks.
As mentioned below the units were x RNAS so as he was Army first thus RFC and assigned to what a unit under Admiralty control? Maybe as the war progressed this was normal as they slotted in suitable personnel.
Strange to be Ayrshire Yeomanry and RNVR unless that was due to the posting!

No. 14 Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service, later No. 214 Squadron Royal Air Force, was formed at Coudekerque near Dunkirk, France, from No. 7 Squadron RNAS. On July 28, 1917 it was initially known as 7A Squadron.
On the 19th of December, 1917, No. 7A Squadron officially became No. 14 Squadron and with the birth of the RAF on April 1, l9l8, was given a 200 prefix, to become 214 Squadron RAF.
Trained exclusively for night bombing, No 7A took over several of No. 7's earlier aircraft and operated alongside No. 7 and No. 15 Squadrons at Coudekerque, flying Handley Page O/100s, and, a short time later, HP O/400s.
Continuously, from the end of 1917 till the very last night of the war, the Handley Pages went off on their raids over Belgium. Although land-based, they were essentially a naval unit, attached to and operating with the Dover Patrol under the command of Admiral Lord Keyes. Their targets were largely against Bruges docks, Ostende and Zeebrugge mole, damage to which would interfere with German submarine activity from the Belgian coast.

Found a suitable photograph too of the activities.

Edited by lancashire - 08 Apr 2016 at 18:50

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 13:22
I should imagine that he was a trooper in the Ayrshire Yeomanry and then gained a commission in the RNVR. Commission details can be found in the Navy Lists and/or on the London Gazette website. You can double check that he wasn't commissioned in the Ayrshire Yeomanry by looking at the Army Lists and/or the Gazette.

He was RAF when he was killed, so may have had previous service in the RNAS, or RFC, or neither. Try looking at the National Archives website for his service documents, and look under both RNVR and RAF. Also, you can look for his Medal Index Card, but that is best done through Ancestry and your local library as, unlike TNA, you can see the card without being charged for it.

It may well be that he had no previous RNAS or RFC service as he was an Administration Officer, and many such staff officers were drafted in to the RAF soon after formation as an independent service (1.4.1918) as there was no longer a dependence on the Army or Admiralty to undertake these functions.

As a staff officer serving with the Group, I would not assume any squadron connection at all.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancashire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 09:46
Nick, I appreciate your explanation of how the system worked, my brother is the one looking this side of my family and he has access to more info than me, though this was all news to him. As they were Ayrshire based the Yeomanry make perfect sense, however I suspect he started with a commission though given his circumstances, its the RNR that was a bit puzzling,I was not aware of the RFC/RAF link either, thanks again.

Maybe I should have entered the topic as Coudekerque as the title.

For anyone else reading this my earlier post has many more details on RNAS 7a, RNAS 14, then RAF 214, Handley Page Type O/100 bomber picture and early USNAS information.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 12:22

The National Archives - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7716476 is the service record (ADM/337/118/352) for a James Arthur who served in the RNVR as an officer 1914-1915

AIR 76/11/116 is his RAF service record, assuming that he was born on 22 October 1889: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8187520

WO 372/1/123194 is a Medal Index Card for a James Cecil Arthur, who was a Captain in the Ayrshire Yeomanry and a Staff Officer Aide de Camp: 
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1058542
This can be viewed free on Ancestry

After service at Gallipoli as infantry, and service in Egypt attached to 52nd Division, 1/1st Ayrshire Yeomanry amalgamated with the 1/1st Lanarkshire Yeomanry in January 1917, to become the 12th Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers. As part of 74th Division, this battalion fought in the Middle East and on the Western Front in 1918.

However, James Cecil Arthur (2.6.1883-11.12.1942) was the 2nd Baron Glenarthur, succeeding 23.9.1928, so there seems to be some confusion here which might be resolved by looking at Burke's or Who's Who.

The casualty record card for his fatal injury can be seen at http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/arthur-j.-james (two cards on this page, second one has address for wife)
and
http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000236010-arthur-j.-james

Note that the first casualty record card reference (there are 8 cards on each page reference) includes a record of a Lt J Arthur, 62 Squadron (Bristol F2B Fighters), with a gunshot wound in the thigh on 6.4.1918 which might be worth looking at a bit more closely, although the rank is wrong.

Rank as Captain (Temporary Major) Admin Officer can be found in the April 1918 Air Force List at http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000192408-arthur-j 
and
http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000211194-arthur-j

Flight 18.7.1918 includes: "A memorial service for Major JAMES ARTHUR, R.A.F. son of the late Mr. Thomas Glen Arthur and nephew of Sir Matthew Arthur (the new peer, who is taking the title of Lord Glenarthur), was held on July 4th, at St. Peter's, Eaton Square, when Princess Beatrice was represented by Mr. Victor Corkran" 
https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1918/1918%20-%200809.html?search=James%20Arthur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 19:05
Couderkerque was bombed during the nights of 5/6 & 6/7 June, 1918.

5/6 June 24 German bombers attacked, destroying 5 aircraft and damaging 37 more. 5 hangars were destroyed. About 200 bombs dropped.

6/7 June 30 bombers attacked C & Teteghem, destroying one aeroplane and damaging 9 more. 4 hangars were destroyed & 6 damaged. The resident squadrons were airborne during the second attack. Teteghem was bombed by the light of parachute flares.

Dunkirk was to be the base of the Northern Bomb Group which was under the command of Vice-Admiral, Dover, but supplied by 5 Group, RAF.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 08:38
James Cecil Arthur of Carlung, Ayrshire, was 2nd Baron Glenarthur
Born 1883, eldest son of 1st Baron (created 1918) and Janet Stevenson Bennett OBE, JP (see below)
Succeeded father 1928. 
1936 addresses: Fullarton Troon, Ayrshire & 56 Pont Street, London, SW1
Educated Eton, Christ Church (Oxford)
1907 Married Evelyn, eldest daughter of late Henry-March-Phillips, Fairby, Tiverton, North Devon - 1 son, 1 daughter.
Formerly Captain Ayrshire Yeomanry & Lt 4th Bn, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders
Club: Western, Glasgow
Heir: son: Hon Matthew Arthur (born 1909, married Audrey 1931, oldest daughter of George Lees-Milne, Wickhamford Manor, Evesham, 1 daughter). 

Janet Stevenson Bennett Gelnarthur (Dowager Lady) OBE JP
56 Pont Street, London
Youngest daughter of late Alexander Bennett McGrigor, LLD, Cairnoch, Stirlingshire.
Married 1879 1st Baron Glenarthur (died 1928) - 1 son, 1 daughter
JP, Ayrshire
OBE 1918
Hon Pres, Ayrshire Branch, British Red Cross Society

Evelyn Stewart Arthur
Chairman, Messrs Arthur & Co, Glasgow
1936 address: Montgomerie, Mauchline, Ayrshire
Born 1899 in London, son of late James Arthur
Educated Eton, Sandhurst
Married 1926 Elizabeth, daughter of General Sir John T Burnett-Stuart GCB KBE - 2 sons, 1 daughter
Lt Scots Greys 1918-1926
Hunting, shooting, fishing
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancashire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:44
Nick,
My better half has an ancestry account so we will follow up that lead and the others with my brother, who has all the sons, nephews etc. though he is away from home. My links to the Ayrshire Arthurs, Glenarthurs are in effect the same family the original company founder was a James Arthur hence all the James cropping up thereafter, after the founders death it all fell to pieces remarkably quickly and has long disappeared!, such is life. We will follow up your suggested links, thank you again for helping. J
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic