The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WW1 German pilot memoirs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WW1 German pilot memoirs
    Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 10:47
Hi there.

Apology if this is repeating a thread,   but I am recently back to WW1 aviation [  always had an interest, but been distracted ],  I am keen to read the above and would very much value your input into the books out there from veterans and biographies by others.

Many thanks for your input.

Regards,   Simon.

NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 15:24
In English, I can only think of :
'The Red Air Fighter' 
'Wings of War' by Rudolf Stark
'For Kaiser & Hitler' by Alfred Mahncke
Hunting With Richthofen, by Bodenschatz
A German Airman Remembers by Hans Schroder
Jagdstaffel 356 ME Kahnert (fictionalized)
Zeppelin Adventures by Rolf Marben
Zeppelins Over England von Buttlar

There are other biographies in English, on Boelcke, Immelmann, Degelow, Goering, Berthold

Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 15:37
A few others from my shelves:

My Escape From Donnington Hall, Gunter Pluschow.

Max Immelman, Eagle of Lille by brother Franz.

The Various Hauptmann Heydemarck books: War Flying in Macedonia, is the only one I have. There are several more.

The German Air Force in the Great War by G P Neumann.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 16:25
Doubledecker D666 & Flying Section 17 by Heydemarck

Also 'Aviator's Field Book' by Boelcke, though not really a biog (see website shop). 

The Immelmann book has quoted letters in it. I think that 'Knight of Germany', by Johannes Werner, on Boeckle is similar, as is the relatively recent Anton Rippon biog of Pluschow ?

'Ace of the Black (or Iron) Cross' by Udet.

nomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 18:06
Many thanks for the help,  There' s a few there I have n't read,  so will look out for copies.

Regards,  Simon.
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 20:00
Nick,
The Rippon biog seems to rely on mainly Pluschow's own book plus a generous input from Freundeskries Gunther Pluschow.

Most of the quotes appear to be from official UK documents.

That said, it is still a good biography
Morris View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 13:11
I have an old book, Great First World War Stories, a reprint of an earlier work from 1930, which contains a piece by Richard Euringer.

There is plenty on the web about the author and the German editions of his book Fliegerschule 4 . I know that this is classified as fiction but given the authors background as commander of a Flying School it may make interesting reading. Certainly the story in the book, where the author reminisces on the history of an old LVG that has been rebuilt many times but has once more come before him is a good read.

Does anyone know of an English language edition of Fliegerschule 4 or Als Flieger in zwei Kriegen?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 17:17
I have Vortrup Pascha by Euringer (in German). 

As far as I am aware, none of these were translated in to English.

In the case of Euringer, I guess that this may have something to do with his works being presented as 'fiction' (though J365 made it, and Heydemarck is rather 'fictionalized' - if that is a word ?) and, I gather, his political leanings.

There is also Malaula ! by Julius Buckler (Grub Street).
KK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 13:18
Whats so dodgy about Heydemarck ? Ive just read his "Trilogy" and while its short on detail ,[ dates ,types flown etc ], they read as a true account. I only wish ld counted how many times in the three books he punched his pilot in the back of the head!
Typical German ?
And is this the sum total of German memoirs? The Journal has nearly as many.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 15:48
'Germany's First Air Force' and 'Over the Battlefronts', both by Peter Kilduff, have recollections in them, some of which have appeared in C&C (US) - according to the C&CI reviewer of the former, at least.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic